Tuesday, January 30, 2007

San Francisco

Scott and I got to enjoy a weekend without kids in San Francisco! It was great to explore the city together. We loved it. We must admit though that after a few later than usual nights and nonstop touring, we were pooped out!
The first day we set out to explore Golden Gate Park. We found the Japanese Tea Gardens and the area around the de Young Museum to be beautiful! One piece of interesting trivia we found: Did you know there are bison in Golden Gate Park? Wierd. We set out to find Baker Beach and found China Beach instead. It was gorgeous! There were rocky sea cliffs to climb and watch the ocean and Bridge. We climbed out as far as we could and then watched the sun come out to highlight the bridge for us! Then we found Lincoln Park and the Legions of Honor Museum. It was really great. We got there so late, only 20 minutes before closing, so they let us in free and we had a running tour of the museum. We managed to see it all (they weren't pushing us out right at 5) and were so glad since the last room had the jackpot artwork.

The other cool thing was they were having an
organ concert in the main hall and so as we were running through the museum, there was loud organ (Phantom like) music booming through the corridors. It was a nice touch.

After dinner we hiked 6 blocks (not far, but
I was in heels and it was straight up one of SFs
steep hills) to the Top of the Mark. Top of the Mark is a jazz
club at the top of the Mark Hopkins Hotel which
is situated on a pretty high spot in San Francisco.
So we got to listen to Jazz, dance and see 360
views of the City. It was really great and we'll
definitely go there again someday!



The next day we took the Cable Car to the Wharf and had our favorite Clam Chowder in a Sourdough Bread Bowl! Later we finally got to walk across the Golden Gate Bridge! I had really wanted to do that, and it was pretty cool. On our way back to the SF side of the bridge I looked down and noticed ocean through a hole in the sidewalk! I had assumed that the road was under the sidewalk too. It's not! It is really high and after that, I was happy to be on solid ground!



2 comments:

Kristen said...

I'm jealous! I can't remember the last time we got away without kids. It looks like fun. Maybe we'll try it some day. I love all the self-photography:)

Jules said...

Good for you guys! I need a vacation, too!