Friday, December 14, 2007

Gingerbread House Party


There are so many fun things to do with kids during holidays, or any time for that matter, but holidays seem to bring out more creativity in me. Last year the kids, my mom and I made Gingerbread house from graham crakers and trees from sugar cones. It was soo fun! I loved having the finished product to look at...and munch on when it got closer to Christmas! So this year, the kids and I decided to have friends over to make Gingerbread houses! It was a blast...a crazy blast!
We had 16 kids in our small home 4 and under(two were infants) and one eight year old, that makes 17 kids all together! So because of the amount of people and craziness, we didn't get to make the sugar cone trees at the party, but the boys and I made our "village" yesterday, putting their two houses together and surrounding them with our trees. I think it turned out sooooo fun! They boys are dying to nibble it...but I want them to wait til it gets closer to Christmas so it'll last a bit. Plus, they had tons of candy whilst making said village.

At the party, we had the kids gather and sing Jingle Bells and Rudolf, the Red Nosed Reindeer. Then the mayhem began. It was really fun, but the parents really need to help such little ones with the frosting "glue" still. So I wonder if there is a better idea for a Christmas party for the little ones. Maybe next year we will make ornaments or something. My kids were in heaven...Ryan asked if we could have another Gingerbread Party before the kids even left! That makes me happy. Hopefully he'll have some memory of it.

Now, many of you might not care to read on, and that's okay. I'm being obsessive and I'm doing this for my posterity, mom and grandma. Remember I mentioned my love of ornaments? Well, I spotlighted a few and have felt ever since like I'm hurting the feelings of the other favorites I have by not highlighting them on here(like leaving out a child). So for my posterity...and for the ornaments feelings (Do you think the ornaments come to life when we're not looking...and play on the tree...TOY STORYish?) here are more of my favorites...and hopefully I'll restrain posting anymore until next year. Dork I am, I know:)

Mom: One favorite that's not pictured is the little gingerbread house made from yarn, but it didn't get onto the tree this year - I didn't want to wrestle the kids in not opening and closing the door...it'll get its own picture next year.


Scott's personal favorite...Crusin' Santa

Little house that a light goes into from the back that illumates the windows - has been on my dad's Christmas tree since he was small! Grandma sent me one last year! Thanks Grandma!

Blown glass reindeer - from Samantha! There's another too. So charming!
Hand beaded little angel...from my other Grandma's tree. My mom has one just like it that is pink and white. I've always loved these little angels.

Little china angel, from my Grandpa Rol's tree.


Patriotic Santa, need I say more? Got him from my first ever Ornament Exchange...played like a white elephant game...open, steal, steal, stay. Great party idea!!! So much fun!Stuffed toy soldier my mom made when I was small...perfect for the bottom where little fingers touch!
Toy red truck - grandpa gave it to the boys last year. Supposed to remind them of his red truck when he was young, but Ryan reminds me that it doesn't really look like the real thing...and the boys have discovered that it's metal...so magnets stick to it...and since it's got an open truck bed, they have a HARD time resisting putting small trinkets in the back of the truck! Still a goodie. Ceramic teddy bear I made in Brownies...probably age 6 or 7? I still remember making him.If I had to choose a Buzz and Woody of ornaments, I don't think I could...so many favorites for so many different reasons. My favorite of Scott's - Spagetti Santa - got mushy in a box that was leaked on in storage a few years ago. I cried! I let him dry out, but he's never been the same. So he doesn't make it onto the tree anymore, but next year I'll have to document him for posterity.

5 comments:

Sydney said...

As I recal, last year Sean called Crusin Santa "Tanta MMMMMM" for the motorcycle. It was soooo cute! Nice party and village! What a FUN idea!!

Amy said...

Rachel told me the party was fun and caotic! What else can you expect! What a fun idea. Love that you love memories, keepsakes, and traditions. Can't wait to see you tonight!

Kristen said...

The party looked so fun--you're brave! I love the finished product. I love ornaments too--two of my favorites are the beautiful ball you gave me with the wise men following the star and the gold maple leaf we got at Mt. Vernon when I came to visit you. It's fun how each ornament has it's own little accompanying memory and significance.

Jules said...

So cute!! I have never seen the cones. I'm going to copy you.

Inspiration Station said...

I love your idea to combine the houses and make a village with trees. So fun! We still haven't gotten to make ours yet. Hopefully soon! What special ornaments you have. Have a great Christmas!