Thursday, January 17, 2008

Grandpa Gene


My Grandpa Gene passed away yesterday. This is one of my favorite pictures of him ever! About 6 years ago when I first saw it, I asked my grandma to tell me more about it. She said that they were in High School. It was her favorite outfit, she loved the denim skirt! And grandpa's shirt was pale blue, just the color of his eyes! So cute!






This picture is of him with me and Syd one Easter Sunday.














The following pictures were taken last summer on our
last visit with him. Ryan has this shirt that reminded
me of Grandpa Gene. So we always either called it his cowboy shirt or his Grandpa Gene shirt. When we got ready that day, I had Ryan wear it and when we came downstairs, Grandpa had a different shirt on, but within minutes, he changed his shirt to match with Ryan!
At the Air and Space Annex Museum in Dulles, VA.

Look at those matching shirts:)

We was a "Newsie" on the streets of Van Nuys, CA when he was 9-11. He remembers Betty Davis would pull up in her car to buy the newspapers - honking her horn, but wasn't very nice. Even though he was a city boy, he moved to Kansas when his mom remarried and was forced into the life of a "farmer." He went to school in a one room school house after moving to Kansas. Before it fell down, I saw this little place, very reminiscent to Little House on the Prarie to me, but even smaller! He worked hard to provide for his family and did well. Syd and I got to stay with them sometimes during the summer when mom would be out of town and I remember him coming home from work and him having us take off his boots (cowboy boots). He could fix anything and I will never forget the entire garage full of tools he owned. When they were moving to Kansas for retirement, Sydney and I wondered how they would ever pack his garage!

When you are small, you take everything at face value and never ask questions. So I was surprised to learn a few years ago that he had wanted to be a veterinarian at one time! I remember his many dune buggies he'd work and heard many a story about his water skiing ability! He was involved in the community throughout his life. While raising his children, he managed a Little League and Pony League youth sports organization, served as the President of the Duarte High School Booster Club. He was a lifetime member of the NRA, and a member of the American Legion, Forty & Eight, the Elks, and the Scottish Right. He was a Mason. A great example of serving those around him.

We love you Grandpa Gene. As Grandma always says, till next time!

5 comments:

Jules said...

That was so sweet. He sounds like a great man--he was always so nice the few times I came in contact with him. Our thoughts are with you guys.

Jules said...

That was so sweet. He sounds like a great man--he was always so nice the few times I came in contact with him. Our thoughts are with you guys.

Amy said...

I was sorry to hear that about your grandpa. I'm glad Scott is able to watch the boys while you're away. Those are pretty cool cowboy shirts. That will for sure be a forever kinda picture. So sorry again.

Rachel said...

what a great tribute. Sounds like you have a lot of great memories that you will always have with you and your boys too.

Jenner said...

Sorry for your loss. I hope you enjoy the time with your family in Kansas.