Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Happy St. Patty's and Easter!

What a full week! Since we did some fun stuff - here's a rundown of our festivities:


Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I just had to share this tradition that I got from Mudpie Gourmet last year. I'd seen these rainbow jellos before and thought that the kids would love it, so I got all the colors forever ago. But the making process didn't seem too fun and you have to plan in advance with jello so I always would forget. Then Jules posted this last year for St. Patrick's Day and I decided I could do it once a year and it'd be a fun tradition. I was right. The kids LOVED the rainbow, the cloud and especially the treasure! Since I just used what I bought forever ago...I was missing the blue and the orange - I guess they got used at some point. And I only had chocolate eggs, not pots of gold, so I stole the picture from her site. But I thought people may not have seen her post last year and might appreciate the idea, I LOVE IT! Thanks Jules!

We took a fun fieldtrip to the Fire Station Tuesday - even though we had a small group. I scheduled it and invited lots of friends from church and preschool, but not many showed up...oh well. During our tour, the firemen got a call and had to rush out...until they stopped at the end of the driveway because the Fire Chief redirected the assignment, knowing these guys were giving us a tour. It was momentarily pretty exciting!



They got to sit in the drivers seat, look in all the compartments, put the oxygen masks on, shoot the grass fire hose and ask lots of questions!
















We also kept busy making Easter sugar cookies and going to the park (several times). If the cookies weren't so pretty to look at and tasty to eat, it wouldn't be worth the process and mess! But I do love making my kids so happy, looking at such a pretty cookie and of course, munching. I think they turned out good, but somehow they always seem to taste even better when someone else makes them...is that because I don't have to make the mess?


Friday was a great day because Scott got to stay home from work! Wahoo Good Friday! It was such a treat because he's been super busy lately with work and church so it was super nice to have him around two days in a row! The weather was gorgeous so we took the boys to the park for some baseball and soccer practice. It was great fun indeed. They ran and ran and ran! Sean kept saying, "Dad, come run with me!"



Finally, the boys got to have their Easter Egg Hunt, after counting down the days most of the week!
Cute Easter boys.

What an eventful week! We saw a grass fire Thursday night behind our house, so called 911! I've never done that before. The firemen came through our house and jumped our fence. Luckily the hoodlum kids set the fire in a tarped area and not the dry grasses!

We dyed eggs and this year I really let the boys do their thing...dipping on their own and all. Goodness, I forget how many eggs cracked after Sean dropped them! Ryan was inventive and came up with an idea to put the stickers on the cracks to fix it - an egg band-aid! Maybe someday I'll get to make cute and pretty eggs, but for now - the kids had a blast and did it themselves. Sometimes I guess I just have to allow things to playout in a nearly 3 and 5 year old way.

Just after our Easter Egg Hunt yesterday, we let the boys play with little boats that had strings attatched to them in Grandma and Grandpa Motley's pool...sounds like a harmless fun activity while we're all standing right there, right?

Well it was, until Sean fell into the pool - trying to reach his boat that was too far from him. It was super scary - but between grandma's immediate call for "Sean's in the pool" and Scott jumping in fully clothed, he was out within seconds and never even coughed or anything when he got out, just scared. I on the other hand - was replaying the ordeal over and over in my head! I could go on about how we don't allow them to play outside without us there and all the good things that we do, but it was still super scary and I didn't see him go in - which I feel horrible beyond words about...but he's safe, so all the awful "what if's" and replays are just good reminders of how careful you must be with kids around pools! Surprisingly, this morning - Scott tried his cell phone which was in his pockets and we were sure was toast - and it worked!

I'm so thankful for my sweet Seany - and that he's safe and now dry!

p.s. We are so excited for Erica and Ryan! Yay for baby on the way! (Scott was on the phone with his sister getting this great news when Sean fell into the pool...and didn't let go of his mom's cell phone - so both phones could be toast...hopefully hers is bouncing back like ours:)

Like I said - a crazy week!

9 comments:

nikki said...

I know - there's nothing better than babies! We are so excited too! Glad Seany was okay - very scary! Sounds like you guys had a great Easter week and did lots of fun things. I'm impressed with all the things you're doing while very pregnant! : ) I think I'd be on the couch.

Scott said...

Shed a tear (of shear joy) thinking of all the wonderful/proactive experiences you provide these boys. Shed a tear (of shear gladness and fulness) knowing you much you yearn for their safety and happiness.

My heart is SO full.

See you REAL soon!

xo

Sydney said...

Holy Moly!!! That is a fun/crazy week! So scary about Sean, and I'm glad you guys were there of course. I need to talk to you more often!! Did mom and dad know about this and not tell me?

So was therir feild trip to the firestation before or after you had to call 911 for the grass fire? The boys must have loved the firemen coming through theie house/yard!!

Congrats Erica and Ryan!

Jules said...

That is an awesome firehouse trip. The HOSE??!! Poor Sean! Glad that S. saved the day! I can't wait for a phone call!

Rachel said...

BOOO! thanks for the firehouse invite. No hard feelings though. Glad to hear Sean was rescued so quickly from the pool. I know from experience how cautious you are with the pool (making Ryan get out every time you went inside, Even though we were all still out there) Well, I hope you are feeling great in these last few weeks and taking a break as often as you can. You sound like a busy lady =)

Erica said...

Only 2 1/2 more weeks-huh? That is crazy! Cute Jello rainbow and cookies! You are the best mom to be doing all those fun things with your boys. We are all glad Seany is ok and so is Scott's phone. The boys look so cute as always! Give them kisses from their auntie!

Amy said...

You are like super-mom, you put all of us to shame. I wish I was as crafty and ambitious as you. You are a good mom to those boys. Too bad accidents still happen. My mom needs to work on her story telling ability. She got through that whole story about Sean falling in the pool talking about the phones, Scott's keys, shoes and wallet then she finished. I was like "Well is Sean Ok?!" Geez mom, give me a heart attack why don't you.

Camille said...

Love those cookies! You are quite the culinary artist. Hope everything goes well for you in the next few weeks with #3. Babies are the best!

Kristen said...

First--so scary about Sean, even though he's OK, those moments are so terrifying for a mom. Second--the boys look so cute for Easter...I'm wondering after looking at that picture whether #3 will be a Motley or a Vanatter:) Third, have you found a blog template you like yet:)? Where do you get all those cute backgrounds?