
Sorry to keep my fans on pins and needles:) Just kidding.
...Shortly after the nurse told me I was going to be admitted, she took us to our labor and delivery room which was awesome (compared to the tiny separate labor, then delivery, then shared recovery stone-age rooms at the hospital where I would have had to be induced. It's scheduled to be torn down.). One of the first things our nurse asked was if I was going to want an epidural. Of course, I said yes! I love them - ahh, the relaxation! However, I still hadn't had the intensely painful contractions I had with Ryan or Sean. In the past it took forever for them to draw labs and have an anesthesiologist available, so I thought it was great they were so on the ball!

Then probably 30-40 minutes later, they announce that it's ready and ask if I want it. Again, sure! How great is that? Labor without being induced and not getting to dire straits! So they got me set up with my epidural, check me afterwards and discover that I was at an 8! Still no crazy contractions! So we turned off the lights for a nap until Kyle was ready to be born...it was about 4:45 am. Scott got to have a great nap. He was out in minutes. A few minutes after he was out, the nurses ran back in because Kyle's heart rate had dropped. They gave me oxygen, shifted my position and he was fixed. He was fine the rest of the time, but my nap was pretty ruined. I relaxed to the sound of his heartbeat, trying to keep it on the monitor. An hour later they checked me and I was fully dilated and effaced, they broke my water and decided to let him labor down on his own. Great - more rest time! Then around 8 am, a doctor came in and asked if I wanted to start. It was funny because in the past, the doctors just told me when it was time. This doctor was pretty relaxed about everything and wanted to know if I was ready. So we went for it and Kyle was out in about 15-20 minutes.
My first two deliveries were not too similar, but the pain was the same. My mom always talks about how she really never felt pain in her labors and honestly, after delivering my first two, I thought she had to have a serious case of memory loss. Now I can believe her. Also, my husband always claims that I have a low tolerance for pain. I protest! No one can know what type of pain another is experiencing. My point is pain isn't the same for everyone - or even the same person. This time it was different and minimal. For Sean, I was at a 2 and dying whereas this time I got to an 8 rather easily. I experienced less pain - BEFORE DELIVERY. The contractions for 3 days post delivery whilst nursing was a whole different story. I had none with Ryan, regular uncomfortable ones with Sean. This time I had to use breathing techniques, heating pads and nothing helped. Goodness me...it was severe!
And yes, I'm still glad I got my epidural...I have no desire to find out what my easy labor could have turned into...and how it feels pushing out a 9 lb 12 oz baby...
So I wasn't induced at all. Kyle was born just over 2 hours after I was scheduled to be induced at the other hospital. My body did it on it's own...no pitocin (I had many doubts it would happen with how late he was!) However next time, maybe I'll reconsider the inducing route if it looks like I'll have another overdue scenario. Even though he's little to us - especially after loosing most of his chub - he weighed in at 9lb 2 ounces on Monday...I think I'll opt for not delivering another almost 10 lb baby. We laughed because our others just slipped out once the head cleared...not Kyle. Is this post just way too much information? I might be editing soon.
Here are a few more pictures from the delivery room...Scott thought the chubbs picture was too funny and I had to publish it:) I like when they are looking into each others eyes.


This one...how did that baby fit in my belly?
On to today's events: My first day Scott left for work in the morning and my mom wasn't here. Started off great. Cute awake baby looking around. Sean crawling into bed with baby and me. Everything was great. Then Sean puked. Then I went to wake Ryan and he said his tummy hurt. Then Ryan puked. Adorable Kyle was getting hungry but was soo patient while I tore sheets off beds and bathed puke boys. I should have known yesterday something fishy brewing. As I was visiting with a friend who brought dinner Sean fell asleep on my lap! He'd had a nap the day before so yesterday was going to be a no nap day. Then he literally fell asleep on me! I was flabbergasted! Well, today now explains yesterdays bizarreness. Now this is my house and why I'm able to update my blog:

Big boys - downstairs
Kyle - upstairs (not sick)
13 comments:
Oh my - what cute sick boys and not sick baby! He already looks so different. I love the awake one with him in his night dress!
Glad you got to publish the rest of the story! Sounds like your birth experience was a smooth one but we may have to have extended conversations about the no pain thing. Just kidding - I know many people that have had a similar experience to yours. It just isn't mine! :)
Is your mom down in SF or back home? Hope you're hanging in there.
Oh yeah, I also like the one of how did he fit in there! I always think the same thing and literally can't believe they were somehow in there!!
Yeah, I cannot believe that he fit in there! He looks so big on your tummy! My gosh! And I love that you had pictures of them sleeping so you could blog. Of course that is what happens when you are finally on your own...go figure right? He is looking so cute, he definitely looks like Ryan. I can't believe his black hair! Keep posting it is fun to see all the changes. Hopefully I will get to chose pieces and parts from everyones labors and get an easy one!
Hey!! Nice story! I wish I could be there. It was fun to visit you randomly in Vegas when Ryan was born. Yeah, that is really freaky that that long chubby baby fit inside of you. It's almost like a magic trick. haha! I too love the sick/not sick pictures. Poor big boys! Props to you for being the go-between! Talk to you soon! Love you!!!
How cute are these three boys? I'd say some of the cutest boys ever. Hope the big boys feel better soon. Great details on the birthing story. You're a great writer. Your aunt should try to write more in her blog. I love the photos the most. I wonde if we'll see a three boys lying on a green aqua colored blanket when the boys feel better. I love that one of Sean and Ryan. Can't wait to see everybody. Won't be long now. You know that you were the best baby, you'd wake up smiling and looking around.
Keep the stories and photos coming !! AUNT GINA
Kyle is the cutest and so chubby I love it. Hats off to you mom for delivering such a big little guy. So sorry about the sick kids. I don't know you sound really up beat for having a newborn and two pukers. You are a trooper.
I can't even believe your delivery story. It wasn't TMI for me. I'm sorry you had such a bummy first couple of days! Where was your mom? At least you can say you conquered it all on your own, life with 3 kids I mean. Can't wait to see him in a few months!
WOW, I can't believe that you really didn't feel pain. He looks like a grown man in those pictures =) I was thinking in the ones with Scott that because he's chubby, he looks big but that one on your tummy confirms that he really is as big as he looks. Sorry to hear your boys are sick. Is you mom still in CA? or did she go home?
WHAAAAT??? No pain before an 8?!? From someone who goes natural all the way that is crazy! I have crazy pain. It's called transition.
Carrie-
Kyle is adorable!! And what a big kid! How did an almost 10 lb baby come out so cute and with such a perfect face? My fav is the picture of him sleeping on you in the hospital -- I love that passed out newborn sleep:)
he really does look like a big baby in that pic of him laying on you. how did you fit him in? ok, i am calling you soon and i am going to flood you with offers of help and dinner and what not. as soon as we move tomorrow. :)
First, I can't believe the size of that kid. The chub is soooo cute. Second, I'm so sorry about your sick kids. Parker was sick and puking the day my mom left after Charlie was born and I remember I just started to cry:) My new strategy with stomach flu is just to throw away anything that has been puked on:) Forget washing and laundering--it's way easier just to bundle it all up and get rid of it. I hope you and baby Kyle can stay healthy.
Carrie,
Congrats! So refreshing to hear about the joys of the epidural! I'm with you 100% I get a little tired of those who feel they've conquered the world or are some how better moms because they did it naturally. Why put yourself through that? Why not enjoy the process. I mean really... It's about having a healthy baby, it's not about you, right?? I totally agree on the pain levels too. No one knows what another person's pain feels like. I was like you my last pregnancy. I was dialated to a 7 and walking around not feeling any contractions. Finally I made them break my water and out came another 10 lber child man!!:) And like you, the more children, the worse the after birth cramps!! I'm glad you are all doing well. Your children are adorable. You deserve a mother of the year award for the sick children and new baby days!!
Post a Comment