Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Dumb Immunizations!

"Check out my new trick! I'm a big boy!" He started this about a week ago...A bit before turning 6 months. At his 6 mo. appointment...21 lbs 8 oz. Really, my arms should be ripped!

I really dislike Immunizations!

This is one of the sweetest, easiest babies you've ever met, yet he cried for an hour tonight. He was exhausted, he wanted to sleep with his soft, cuddly blanket. At times, he would nestle his face into it, get a few sucks on his pacifier and relax in my arms, only to realize with in seconds that he was uncomfortable and continued his screaming.
No amount of singing sweet lullabies, humming with my lips pressed onto his head, or bouncing would calm him. Under normal circumstances, he would willingly cuddle in his bed with his cozy blanket and drift away to baby einstein music.

I wish I knew how to space out the Immunizations better. We've tried spacing them out because I do think it's a lot for a little baby's system to handle, yet I theoretically support and agree with Immunizations. But why does this have to happen?

If any of you out there have an alternate schedule for Immunizations, bring it on!

I just hate feeling so helpless. In my mind I was cursing the fact that I allowed the evil shots that caused this situation. And still I totally believe that they are important...just why at such a young age, and why so many? Grrr.

8 comments:

Erica said...

Wow! Look at him sitting up on his own! 21 lbs is impressive! My friend Brittany's baby is 17 lbs and is 10 months old! Gotta love his chub! I wish I had more advise about the shots! Hopefully it was just a one time thing and he will be fine now.

Amy said...

The first year of life is so bad for shots. I would always dose Owen up with tons of Motrin. Owen had his 2 year check up yesterday and didn't have to get anymore immunizations! Only a flu shot. Even with the flu shot he woke up in the middle of the night and cried/fussed for a good hour in his bed (I never go in there in the middle of the night because it makes things worse). So I don't know what it was about. Probablly soreness in his arm. No more shots until he's 5! Can't wait to squish Kyle in a few weeks!

Sydney said...

I am no help what-so-ever with shots, but I can tell you the obvious... KYLE IS ADORABLE!!!!! I can't wait for Christmas to hold all of those boys and see you guys!!

Mandagirl said...

Oh, this can be a tough subject. I'm probably the wrong person to ask as I delay ALL of the immunizations until school age.

I just don't like taking the risk of compromising those small little immune systems.

Kristen said...

I have been having the immunization dilemma too. Chuck has a sister w/autism, so I've read a lot about the link between autism and immunizations and I'm just uncomfortable with how many they give at once. My doctor agrees and so I never get the HepB shot (or whichever it is) that they give in the hospital after they are born and I space the rest out as much as possible.

Kristen said...

P.S. Is it me or is Kyle sporting some teeth in that picture?

nikki said...

Sorry for your bad night. I have been lucky - my kids never had any issues. I hope he feels better soon.

I love that chubby big boy sitter!! I can't wait to see him!

sam said...

Kyle is getting so big - I love the cheeks! I haven't thought too much about immunizations yet. I bet you're in for a busy weekend with the election coming up. My parents are getting ready to help hand out 30,000 door flyers tomorrow. For my part, I'll be sleeping in (maybe even until 7) after a day of too much Halloween fun.