Friday, April 23, 2010

Trauma for the almost two year old!

Two year old fall a lot. At least this one does. Just walking along and falls. So on Tuesday evening while we were playing outside and he fell it wasn't such a huge deal ~ well....except this time he did hit his mouth and there was blood. I took him inside to clean up and cheer up ~ retrospectively, he doesn't usually cry when he falls. There is usually no blood, his knees and elbows have sustained minor scrapes, but nothing bloody. Anyhow I lifted up his lip to examine to make sure we didn't need to go get stitches. But it didn't seem too bad so he got a drink and a cookie and was all better and back out to play. The next day was pretty normal, but a few whinny calls for Mommy when he was eating, I figured because of his lip being quite scratched inside and out. It wasn't until bedtime when I brushed his teeth that I discovered this!



Can you see his tooth? It's in two pieces! Scott wasn't home and I was freaking out but still getting kids into bed. My mind was wandering to hospitals and general anesthesia to try to save the tooth...to having it pulled...trying to find a dentist as our insurance had changed in January and being grossed out that it was split!
Sadly there was no hope in saving the tooth as it was fractured in more than one place. We were lucky that the dentist was able to get it out in once piece as she was anticipating the root breaking at fracture points and having to dig for them. Seriously lucky! It actually happened quite quickly. It was traumatic for all involved, but ended sooner than we feared.
He took a long nap afterwards and woke up to mom and dad and brothers all checking to see if he was okay. He quickly was offered medicine, a Popsicle and a smoothie. He felt like a king.
And quickly did the toddler dip.
Mmmmm... Coconut Popsicle dipped into a Raspberry Banana Smoothie!
He hasn't seemed bothered by the hole yet. Hasn't smiled big enough for a new look at his new smile yet.
Oh yea...the forehead scratch is from a different tumble outside Wednesday afternoon.
Hopefully he feels better so he can have a fun birthday tomorrow!

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Ooh, poor baby!! But it looks like he got a good treat to distract him!

My husband and I are heading to DC in June for a business trip...going to see Julie and Mary while there. Wish you still lived there!

Amy said...

That first picture was NOT what I was expecting when you said he had a crack in his tooth. That is a SERIOUS crack! Oh my heavens how did you keep it together? I would not!! Poor little guy. Kids are so resiliant, it is probably most tramatic for you and all the toothless pictures that will follow. So sorry Kyle, but hope you have a very happy birthday!

Amy said...

PS Mike and I concur that his adult tooth will be fine.

Erica said...

So that small thing in between the two teeth is part of the tooth?! it is hard to tell from the picture, but I think it is! Man that is rough! That is split in half more like crack! I am glad all is well though now! Hopefully he had a fun Birthday today! Happy Birthday big 2 year old!

Lisa said...

I can't believe he had to get his pulled at two! But don't we love those toothless grins?

Julie said...

Oh my goodness!! That is CRAZY! He looks like a 6 year old now! HA! Glad everything went well with the recovery!