Wednesday, September 08, 2010

We grew stuff!

Spring 2010
Scott becomes resident gardener!
Scott built our garden box # 1 and planted....
three cherry tomatoes, three regular tomatoes ( I forget if it's better boy or early girl) and one roma, once cucumber, one bell pepper, one watermelon and one strawberry.  The watermelon died so we planted two pumpkins from a primary activity.
A few weeks later he built another planter box along the back fence with another tomato, another cucumber, a new watermelon, Ryan's Strawberry from school and a green bell pepper.

The tree to the left is a peach tree!  The pot has basil and green onions.
You can't see a lemon and a mandarin tree ~ but we've planted them!

RESULTS!  So fun!
What we've learned...
  • The cherry tomato plants produce early and lots and evergoing!  We all love picking them and popping them in our mouths.  The kids literally beg for them and have even fought over the sweet gems. 
  • The very cool spring wasn't great for our summer crop.  We've got a bunch of green tomatoes we're waiting on...and have enjoyed the one's we've gotten.
  • Cucumbers did rather well...making our bagel sandwiches super tasty and cruchy!
  • The second watermelon didn't do so well.
  • I think we'll get some pumpkins...I wonder if they'll be too late for Halloween though.
  • Strawberry plants are worthless...
  • Birds ate the few strawberries we did get....we put bird netting over all our plants.
  • You need to cut back basil frequently...which we did until I left for Virginia and it didn't get pruned for three weeks...it flowered and the stems turned woody and smelled not like regular basil...plant ruined.  Before then it was awesome!
Any gardening tips, do's or don'ts or favorite crops to add to our gardening knowledge?  Any and all tomatoes have always been a favorite of mine ~ but especially the home grown ones!  So I'm totally hooked on the tomatoes and cucumbers!  I need to get a new basil plant too, I loved having it in the back yard to use at my will!  It's been so much fun!  Thanks hon!

5 comments:

Sydney said...

Hey! Way to go!! We talked about planting a garden but the unavoidable weeding turns us away. If you have any tips on how to not get weeds, we may start one. All of your veggies look delicious. :)

nikki said...

I loved that you grew stuff and had fun seeing it first hand this summer! Your tips are helpful, but maybe different for Arizona? Patrick is getting to work on my garden this year and I am sooo excited!

You are SO CLOSE to baby day! What?!

Loren said...

you inspire me :)~!

Gina the Photographer said...

Love this garden thing. You were a toddler but do you remember Grandpa Gene and Grandma Dot growing a huge garden? Try tomatoes, green peppers and onions chopped up and left overnight in the fridge. Amazing. How fun !

Kristen said...

I love gardening too--though I usually fizzle out this time of year and let the weeds take over. My dad was on an heirloom tomato kick last year and we tried all kinds of awesome tomatoes. I still love the taste of an early girl, but a salad with a yellow, green, and purple tomato looks gorgeous. My favorite cucumbers are lemon cucumbers, you'll have to try them. We also plant green chiles, bell peppers (all 3 colors), eggplant, zuchinni, yellow squash, green beans, and strawberries. I have boxes like yours that I use for my bell peppers, strawberries, and herbs--but until I can build 15 more boxes...all the rest are in rows. Your garden looks great (as does the rest of the yard:)