Sunday, November 02, 2008

YES ON 8 !!!

As Election Day nears, we've been busy rallying voters for California Prop 8.




The importance of this issue are many fold. Unfortunately, the opposition to Prop 8 has directed its focus on discrimination, bigotry and equality. Thir commercials have even showed old footage of Japanese containment camps, challenging voters to not allow such discrimination again. That argument is so frustrating as I do not discriminate others for any reason. In fact, it's offensive on my side. Seriously. I believe we are all children of God, therefore every person regardless of their race or choices are loved the same Father in Heaven I pray to. If he loves them as I believe he loves me, why would I treat them as less than a child of God?





My Yes vote on 8 is not based upon hate. A Yes on 8 vote will preserve my rights, my children's rights and does not eliminate the rights of homosexual persons or partnerships. Proposition 8 respects the rights of homosexuals while still reaffirming traditional marriage. They have the right to live the lifestyle they choose, but do not have the right to redefine marriage for everyone else.






A No on 8 vote compromises the education of innocent young children, as it has in Massachusetts. Californias Superintendant O'Connell claims that gay marriage will not be taught in schools in No on 8 commercials. Unfortunately this claim is wrong as it states in State Curriculum that children shall be taught about marriage and this section is not included in the opt out lessons. Moreover, a couple fought teaching gay marriage in school in Massachusetts, and LOST. Not only did they lose, but their opponents case made clear their objective to gay marriage and lifestyle to young enough students - before they have had a chance to make up their own mind. It frightens me that they would make that point clear in front of a judge and win. What happened to the rights of families?

The group, United Families of California challenged California Superintendent O'Connell to a debate on Prop 8 and he declined. Disappointing. He will not even face the voters and give them an opportunity to be more informed. So I emailed Mr. OConnell and called every News station in our area prompting them to report his negligence.





My kids were not holding signs like we were (even though it was pictured it was just for a brief moment), they were in the background playing on the grass for the majority of the time, but since we were having so much fun on the sidewalks, they wanted to have fun too. Since they don't fully understand the issue and for safety reasons (there actually was an empty soda can and an egg thrown at our group...hmm...intolerance?), we kept them back. It was really fun out there, even in the rain...as Scott said, if you closed your eyes you might think you were in NYC, because we were getting soooo many encouraging/supporting honks...the whole time we were out there...and every time we've been out there! Sure there are those who disagree and that's okay...I just hope there are enough people who understand all parts of this important issue to pass Proposition 8!



I worry because if voters were more informed on all the issues, I honestly believe Yes on 8 would pass. However too many people just view this as a "CIVIL RIGHTS" issue and it is not. Again...they have the same rights already.



It is true that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has asked its members to give of their time and means to support Prop 8. The following is taken from their Aug. 13, 2008 letter to its members:


"The Church does not object to rights (already established in California) regarding hospitalization and medical care, fair housing and employment rights, or probate rights, so long as these do not infringe on the integrity of the family or the constitutional rights of churches and their adherents to administer and practice their religion free from government interference.
The Church has a single, undeviating standard of sexual morality: intimate relations are proper only between a husband and a wife united in the bonds of matrimony.
The Church’s opposition to same-sex marriage neither constitutes nor condones any kind of hostility towards homosexual men and women. Protecting marriage between a man and a woman does not affect Church members’ Christian obligations of love, kindness and humanity toward all people. "

My post about the Proclamation on the family was inspiried by my friend Kristen who was inspired by NieNie (the stylish lds mom blogger who was badly burned in a small plane crash. NieNie did a weeks worth of Proclamation posts in the summer of 2007) and the vote for Proposition 8. The marriage unit and the family is so central to the Plan of Jesus Christ and our purpose here on earth. With that plan, we were all allowed our free agency. One of my YW, wrote an opinion piece in her High School paper for Yes on 8. Wow. So proud of her! This issue has been very front and center in her school with No on 8 student supporters picketing before school and at Towne Hall meetings...all claiming Yes on 8 hate. For her to put her name in print with her picture beside it was a courageous thing to do! Way to be Ashley! In her piece she summarized an article by David Blankenhorn, a self-proclaimed “liberal Democrat,” wrote an article for the Los Angeles Times on just this matter. She said, "Blankenhorn, as well as I, believes in upholding the institution of marriage as between a man and a woman to protect children. Although each home is different, studies have shown again and again that the ideal structure for raising children is a home with two parents of the opposite sex. The differences of males and females complement each other perfectly for raising children. Protecting marriage would, in turn, help give children the idealistic homes to grow up in. "


This is a video clip of the Kick off Rally for the Yes on 8 Bus tour. Scott went and found my good friend in our ward there too! They are both on the video holding signs...Her's says, "I'm OK, You're OK, Prop 8, Ok Yes." BTW...they are from YouTube! So famous!


When the lady says, "I love your sign...she's talking to MY FRIEND! Go Stephanie! I love you and your explanation of your awesome sign!


Here is a new video ProtectMarriage.com has produced combating claims of our intolerance. In fact it is the other side of this issue who has behaved intolerant. One of my YW had the sticker taken off her car at school and then they keyed her car. Some youth in our stake were putting out signs late at night and a truck started tailing them...then at one point gunned the vehicle speeding directly at this young man who quickly ran to avoid being RAN OVER by a Ford
Explorer!(who's intolerant?...YIKES)
I'm long winded...but that is because I feel there is so much that needs to be said! I don't feel that the press or our coalition is getting out the messages clearly enough. We're doing our best and I hope the voters will see the importance and truth of this proposition, not believing false claims from the other side.

8 comments:

nikki said...

I agree with the "intolerant" word President Boyd K. Packer said in our SC that people use that word as a weapon. I agree that it is untrue - we are not intolerant and that many people are not seeing the true claims. If our propositions do not pass, we run the risk of losing our rights and the rights of our children.

Good for you guys for getting so involved! No matter what happens - we know that we fought as hard as we could for the things that we believe in and that is what our leaders have asked us to do. I spent early Saturday morning hanging door hangers for our prop. Our sign finally got stolen yesterday after being in our yard for almost a month. I don't think we have quite the opposition you are facing. :) We will all pray tomorrow!!!

Sydney said...

Way to go!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you all for getting so involved. I think this is only the beginning. We will have to be more and more vocal; and get better about explaining our positions. It is terribly frustrating when the press refuses to do their job to get out the message fairly. The intolerance you all have been subjected to is what should be making the news... This entire campaign has been a media farse... That is what is scaring me... In the future what more will the press surpress to keep their ideology? These are interesting times... but we shall go forth in faith and stand for the truth... Thank you Carrie and Scott for being so valiant in that cause... I will pray for us all.

Mom

Amy said...

I agree with what your mom said. It's really only the begining. It's sad really. It's not just a CA issue either. If it doesn't pass, that will just lead to other states following suit. You know we'll be dealing with this the rest of our lives. Our poor kids! How strong they'll have to be.

Jaynann said...

Agreed.

Kristen said...

Go Care! I'm with you all the way. Some of the people I went to Jerusalem with are debating this issue on Facebook and it's been so interesting to follow. And religion aside, there are so many reasons to support CA 8/AZ 102. However, the church's position on this issue makes it a no-brainer for me.

Scott said...

You guys did good. Congrats.

Scott organizing his neighbors; you taking time to write so convincingly on such a controversial topic.

I am very proud of both of you.

Love,

Dad

Erica said...

Yeah! Our efforts paid off! It makes me feel so good that CA came together and passed this huge issue! It gives me some hope for our future! Way to be so involved! I'm still amazed you can do posts like this with 3 little boys...I can't manage my one!