Friday, February 22, 2013

Monterey

We took a quick trip down and over to Monterey for the Aquarium!  It had been so long that none of our kids really remembered it, so it was lots of fun to explore!  Ryan, Sean and Kyle were all begging to use either the camera or cell phone to take pictures of everything, therefore most of the aquarium pictures are ones they took.  I had to beg for use of a camera!
I remember taking pictures on a school whale watching trip...and loving taking pictures.
The world goes round!
The Mola - a big fish with no tail...nicknamed a Sunfish.
Really funny looking, and had a brain the size of a pea.
There were a few Hammerhead sharks.  My favorite shark because it is so weird!
Other sharks are actually quite beautiful.
And Sea Turtles are graceful and mesmerizing.


The school of sardines was fascinating, you would not believe how fast the school would move up or down. Stole the show!


The sea turtle came to say hello!































































The wave window...so exciting!





The Jellies are so lovely. Hard to imagine they have terrible stings!











My favorite picture these days:






Old Fisherman's Grotto - The worlds best Clam Chowder.  Fancy restaurant...Ryan and Sean were impressed.  The menus said the children must be quiet or they would be asked to leave.  Left an impression!


Then we headed to The Dennis the Menace Park.
I've wanted to go play here for years...and yes, it's a fabulous park.  So many fun and unique areas of the park.  I was almost out of battery on my cameras so I took only one...wish I had more pics of the fun stuff...but this slide was a hit.
Some pictures to show the coolness of the park.
This bridge was fun...

This train was blocked off...boo.  Cade would have loved it.  The maze was fun and the other play structures are good...but we had 3 people who needed to use the restroom...and there were lots of kids...and keeping track of all our littles was really stressful...and the beach was calling our names...but we had to try it out.




So we drove to Pacific Grove and had a gorgeous evening...looking at the tide pools, watching the sun set and the tide splash on rocks.  Heaven right there!




Sean pointing to a really big splash behind the rock island (a much taller side on the left).
Watching the sunset atop the rock island.















What a wonderful day!
Favorite part was Pacific Grove.  It was awesome.  Rocks. Tide pools.  Ocean.  Sunset.
What a great family day away from our normal busy routines!
Great idea Scott!

6 comments:

Scott said...

TOO many beautiful scenes, too many expressive faces, two great parents, one great day. Wow. Beautiful all the way around.

Mom/Grandma/Becky said...

I love all things ocean... and that was a perfect day start to finish... You can't get a more perfect day than that! Wow Scott... you are the perfect day planner!!!! Cute boys, cute pictures, and I want to go to the tidepools too! Sunset WOW!

Karen M. said...

Monterey is such a beautiful place! I don't think I know about the wave window-but it's been a while since we've been to the aquarium there too. The park looks super fun-might have to make a side trip when we go to Santa Cruz this year-

Ryan Smart said...

Awesome aquarium. I first saw that you went to Monterry and got excited becasuet that's where I grew up, but then saw that it was Monterey-which is much more beautiful, but not as good of Mexican food. :) Feels like forever since I've seen you guys.

Carrie said...

aaaahhh! you are right ryan smart. While my texts and instagrams are grammatically frightful...I truly do care about correct spelling and writing sentences that make sense...but on my phone...my thumbs are big and I am typing fast and assume it is typing how I am intending...However, on my blog I care much more because I know how to type and how to write. I apologize for my error. Years ago I noticed someone spell it with two r's and thought it was incorrect...but spell checkers always try to change it to two r's and with the e. Heading down to Mexico for Mexican food sounds fantastic;) Yes...when are you going to stop traveling the world and come see some family? ;) Excited to see your girls...even though it sounds like Reagan isn't much for strangers still:(

Erica said...

My comment didn't save! Urgh! I said cute pictures! Love how many you take and that you manage to get you and Scott in there too. I can't wait to see you guys! What a fun adventure!