




I've thought several times lately that I don't know how or why I'm so lucky! Reading the life histories of my ancestors makes me wonder why I get to do so many great things! Ancestors who left their native country never to see relatives again...I'm so lucky to live in a time where coast to coast airplane travel is available! Ancestors who trekked across the wild wild western states, probably never experienced the vastness, beauty and fun of the ocean! Digital photography! What life changing technology! Modern medicine...to identify and take care of ails our bodies may encounter and help us through child birth (ancestor gave birth to a child with her two year old hanging around and husband lost his horse and was therefore absent...not retuning for 3 weeks).
We do have our challenges too...in 1952 at the age of 94, my very own great great great grandmother Elizabeth Reese (Craig) said, "Yes, I’ve pioneered in Arizona, but my mother was a pioneer before me – she came from Illinois to Utah with the first handcart company, and my husband’s father, James Craig, was a bugler for the pioneers of 1847 and crossed the Plains into Salt Lake City with Brigham Young… Yes, I suppose you’d say that pioneering in those early years was hard, but we were all trying to develop the country and build a better nation. No one was trying to destroy it or tear it down. Everybody worked together and tried to follow the teaching of one of the Apostles who said, ‘Stick to the good and work for the right.’
Of course we worked hard, but hard work is good for the souls of men. Hard work kept our children out of mischief and kept men from getting into trouble. If I had my life to live over, I believe I’d take the hardships of our times rather than the problems of today. We built the nation. A lot of people now are trying to tear it apart. No matter how hard, it is easier to build a country than to keep the enemies from destroying it afterwards.
There’s a tremendous job of pioneering for our young people today—pioneering in a wilderness of unrest, selfishness, intolerance, greed, and dishonor. True courses must be charted through this wilderness just as we broke trails through nature’s wilderness sixty-nine years ago.”
Wow! Can't wait to get to know her someday(by the way...same lady that went through childbirth ALONE). So through all the wonderful experiences I get to have that she and others didn't, my goal is to tackle the wilderness that my family will face with her wisdom, faith, and good old fashion family values.
May we all enjoy and appreciate the experiences we are so fortunate to have!













8 comments:
Wow. That is so neat about you ggggrandma. The pictures are beautiful (mostly because the people in them are beautiful :)). How fun to get away. How do your kids do sleeping in the same room as you when you're at a hotel?
We don't stay in too many hotels...but when we visit my Gma in Union City with my mom, we sleep in something sorta like a hotel room...but where my gma lives. If the lights are off they are fine. I had the light on in the bathroom and the doors were glass with a sheer curtain...so it was too bright for him and he didn't fall asleep until the light was off. And they go to bed waaaay past their bedtime when it happens.
Thanks for sharing your grandmother's words of wisdom--it's good to remember that if they could survive the hardships that they faced in their day, we can survive ours. Chuck and I are going on our stake's pioneer trek next week and so I've been reading the journal's of the Willie and Martin handcart companies--it has been heartwrenching and inspiring. I keep having dreams that I'm freezing or starving to death:) What a light-weight.
testing picture thing...
Well sounds like you had tons of fun!! looks like it too! Wow, what the treatment! What kind of training was it? I do read your blog I just don't leave comments all the time... this blog idea is very great. I might have to start one of my own.
-syd
I have tried to leave at least three comments. We shall see if this one gets thru.
A guy at work has kids Ryans and Sean's age. They do nothing like the blog. His and her parents are about 6 hours away (in different directions), so they see each other 4-5 times per year.
If we keep it up, Becky will see the Motleys 3-4 times per year, and I will see all y'all about 2 times per year -- once out here, once out there (on average).
THIS BLOG and all of Carrie's pcs are a LIFE SAVER.
It is SO wonderful; the kids are SO beautiful (Carrie ain't bad either).
"Thankyahveramuch."
Grandpa Scott
Carrie,
How fun to tag along with Scott and his work trip! I've been to Half moon bay. What a beautiful beach!
I'll email you some list of books--it would be too long here.
And for your photo for your profile:
Go to edit profile. Then go to photograph. Under that category is a place for photo url. If you have a http address for a photo, then you just type it in there. If you don't, you can join a site for free like photobucket.com That is what I use. Once you download photos there, it gives you a url for each photo. Then just type it in to your profile and you're set. Hope that makes sense!
I have been thinking of our heritage a lot lately. Partly with the passing of Aunt Dot. It is overwhelming at times to watch the generations move forward into the future, and pass on from this life to the next. We have so much to be thankful for... Someday we will all have an incredible reunion, and I think we will be shocked how well we know one another. I am truly thankful for our faithful heritage.
Post a Comment