Monday, December 31, 2007

Christmas

We had such a great Christmas! Here are some highlights:

Ryan's preschool had a little Christmas program. I was SOOO impressed with the costumes his teacher has gathered over the years - perfect for these preschoolers! You've got to see the wisemen, they were stylin! Ryan was the only one who wanted to be Joseph. I was proud of him because all the other boys wanted to be wisemen, but he didn't follow the crowd! He was really excited for the program, though you couldn't tell because the day before, he spent the ENTIRE DAY laying still and not moving...wierd story! At 8 am, he tried to get up off our floor and started crying, saying his neck hurt!
So I let him hang out there watching some cartoons for a while...that turned into hours! Scott ended up staying home with him while I went to church...and Scott's mom showed up during Sacrament meeting and thought we should take him to the ER. So we did and throughout the hours he still would NOT move without crying. Scott transported him from home to car carrying him horizontal with his pillow. To go into the ER, he rode in a stroller that was reclined to a horizontal position...it was so strange! All nurses and doctors agreed that this was not normal! Then about 9 hours after the ordeal began, he cautiously started moving again without trauma. And now he's fine. The doctor tried to explain it as something called torto.... but I'm not really buying it...there were not swollen lymph nodes in his neck, etc. So we have no answers... But the show must go on, right? So here he is, as Joseph, and not yet quite himself.




Our Family visiting baby Jesus (Ward Christmas Party).














Sean found a dancing Santa at Granny's house Chrismtas Eve. He danced with Santa many times and in his own little world. I have more video of this kid moving his hips than I know what to do with!


Visiting Dovewood Court(every house decorates like crazy...they have a HOA just for their street so they can monitor the over-the-top decorations) - annual tradition!

Monkey faces for monkey jammies...new christmas toys to play with!


...Dad's favorite toy.

What a fun day! We played with new toys all day long! It was great...except for my funky stomach issue. I had no appetite and was a little nausious...so yummy dinner was not made...Sorry Scott, he was a bit bummed. He made Mac and Cheese for he and the boys...at least he's the best Mac and Cheese maker around.





We had a bit of drama prior to Ryan actually skiing. It all centered around how amazingly COLD it was...and snowing! But he insisted one boot was too tight, even though he'd just tried them on in the rental place. So we got some pizza and rootbeer in the lodge, regrouped, and Scott and Ryan tried again...initially it seemed like Ryan was going to love it! Up the lift, he was so excited and they got off and he told Scott to get in his snowboard bindings so they could go faster. But then a real hill came and he sat down. After some more attempts, they returned to the lodge, where Sean was sleeping on my lap. Luckily after Scott returned from a few runs, Ryan wanted another try (probably so he could get the IBC Rootbeer Scott promised him if he gave it a good try). The kid responds to incentives or bribery:)

Alas, the day ends with Ryan on skiis and a smile on his face. Still not the dream Scott had in his head, but at least it ended on a good note...even if it was more walking than skiing:)





Cousins playing in the Dinosaur Museum at Thanksgiving Point. The Museum was great...but three cousins in particular went through at lightning speeds...so tough to slow them down! They were having so much fun together...so I missed many details. It was all I could do to keep them from climbing up the rocks trying to kill the wolly mammoth with the other human skeletons - the display was showing how many people it took to take down the wolly mammoth.
They thought they could help...and my kids have played this game since.






The megalodon, Carcharodon megalodon, was a giant prehistoric shark that probably lived between about 2 to 20 million years ago, and was the apex predator in its time. It is recognized as the biggest known carnivorous fish to have ever existed. It is often termed the "megatooth shark".

Frigid Temple Square. I should have abandoned the smiling attempt. When it's so cold, you can't really feel your face...and it feels wierd to smile, probably should just have a closed mouth smile...that's my rationale for my funny grin here. Ryan was so cold, after listening to the nativity scene's narration, he was pretty much done. I was excited about taking the kids to Temple Square's lights so I tried to get him excited...saying, "hey look! Look at all those lights, let's go see more!" He says to me, "What's so great about lights?"



Uncle Chris leading the pack of cousins in Rudolph, Jingle Bells and some made up tunes.


Ryan loves to throw snow balls or chunks. He and Scott made a snow cave too.

As you can see we have a very full Christmas Vacation! There was so much to do and so little time! We did manage to squeeze in some down time...although Park City's temperatures were in the single digits (felt below zero with the windchill) many were found in the hot tub, frozen hair and all (obviously not me...being prego and all) and the cousins enjoyed the movie theater basement! A great Motley gathering.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

looks like a lot of fun!! we were in UT too and I have to say that it was about as cold as Pittsburgh. BRRRR!! we didnt go to temple square because it was so freezing I knew we wouldnt even be able to enjoy it.

Scott said...

Great pics.

The Fam visiting the Baby Jesus is very sweet.

Carrie makes a beautiful Mary.
Ryan makes a great Joseph.
Sean makes a great monkey face.
Scott makes a careful and loving stretcher (carrying Ryan to the ER).

Ryan looks "ready to go" in the close-up pic of the goggles.

Sean has better hip action than Elroy 'Crazylegs'* Hirsch.

Love you all (SO much).

Thanks for the pics.

xo

Grandpa Scott

* Shows how old I am.

Jules said...

Wow. You guys were BUSY! Crazy about Ryan!!! How freaky. I didn't even know you were going to Utah. That is very fun. We went to the temple here for the lights--it was around 50 degrees. We saw Nathan Pacheco and family--did you know he is going to go on tour with Yanni? So, basically, I've sung with Yanni.

Amy said...

What a Merry Christmas it was. Believe it or not, it wasn't as caotic as I thought it would be. We had lots of fun with you guys. I hope it won't be too long until we can see eachother again. Tell Ryan to keep up on his beat boxing skills for when he sees Owen again.

Anonymous said...

Good Christmas, wasn't it? You are speedy on your blog updating. After my lesson is done tomorrow, I will play with mine. Fun to look at pics and see how much fun we had. What a great time with cousins! We already miss you so much!

Carrie said...

It was good, but it always is good when everyone gets together! I'm not as speedy as you'd think...I back dated the post so that it showed up in 2007:) It wasn't actually updated until super late on Jan 3:)

Jenner said...

i am getting cold just looking at your pictures. we frooze at temple square too! we also visited the dinosaur museum, would've been a riot if we ran into you!

Kristen said...

I'm so sad we didn't get together in Utah. We ended up leaving the 28th. It was FREEZING! We took the kids sledding in Logan and it was 17 degrees. We had hoped to go to Temple Square, but I knew my Arizona boys wouldn't tolerate the frigid temperatures. Anyway, I'm glad you had a fun Christmas.