Thursday, November 06, 2008

If life were easy, it wouldn't be hard

Well, Election day has come and gone.
I'm so grateful that voters showed up in support of traditional marriage! I never got to finish all my thoughts in my last post, but the preservation of marriage will bless our lives in so many ways! Freedoms for Churches, religious doctors, Bishops, Priests, religious adoption agencies, free speech, and families have been preserved!

Unfortunately I still haven't become over elated. I guess it is because I've realized and accepted the reality of this war on the family. On election day the No on 8 campaign ran commercials specifically targeted towards The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Prop 8 Yes votes: 5,977,457...California Mormon residents: 770,000 - pretty sure that includes children who are not voters). It shocked and surprised me! Sure, the Mormons are the most persecuted church in the history of the United States, but like I said, that was history.

It's okay. However shocking it was...the world is a place where values are not held as tightly anymore. Shades of grey surround us. Those who hold strong to spiritual beliefs are a peculiar people to much of the world. That is okay. It was not meant to be easy.


Our ward's sign holding parties were rained on twice. Honestly, I'm glad! Why you ask? Especially since it was pretty chilly during the Monday night rain...let me tell you. I didn't cross a frozen river or live in Winter Quarters. I never crossed the plains trying to keep me and my family from starving or freezing to death.
The trials we face today are vastly different from those of the Pioneers. I always thought of the Pioneers trials as more and harder. My very own ancestor in 1952 said she'd rather the trials of her day than the ones that the youth were facing. Imagine what she'd think today! Honestly, I didn't think our trials were that difficult until now. We are in the midst of a spiritual war and it isn't going away. This is our test. So I am glad it rained while I stood on the street corner waving my signs to support Marriage, the Family, my children and Freedom of Religion!
So when the next battle comes...we'll be there...in the rain or snow or whatever else is required.
***I think I can now step down from the soap box. Thanks for putting up with my monologues. I had to get it out of my system. And I sooo agree with Nikki! Life is soo beautiful and joyous. I LOVE IT! I am so blessed with a wonderful life and amazing family. I guess what I was saying was, Where much is given, much is required...and I'm up for the challenge because of this wondrous life! (I could have gone on with the song quotes there...I'll go where you want me to go...but I tried to spare you on that:)

3 comments:

nikki said...

We had similar conversations Wednesday night at our ward float building party. It is hard to think of the fact that it is just the beginning of the war we will fight. It is hard to be attacked and singled out as a church. It is hard to put yourself out there and share your spiritual beliefs. But I read on a blog a little while ago - life sure is hard, but it is beautiful. I am grateful for my little family's beautiful life and grateful that both our states went out and voted to keep it safe a little while longer!

Bingy's blog said...

Carrie,
I'm so glad for people like you who will stand up! I'm not even in California, and I am so disturbed by the turn this is taking, now protesting the temple! I'm mad about it, and not even there, hats off to you for your positive attitude!
Inger

Anonymous said...

Go see the catholic priest on u-tube who is outraged by the attacks on the "Church of Latter-day Saints" as he called us... We had a very comforting conversation in Relief Society about the "Signs of the Times" in which the CA election came up... not by me... however I did add in some thoughts. It is comforting to know the Lord has organized the priesthood such that that organization will be able to lead forth just as they did in this "moral battle". By the way the Relief Society is patterned after the priesthood and will be called on to support and organize in the days ahead as well. I'm thankful for you and your faithful husband for standing so valiantly for the right and the true. This is not a time for the faint of heart. You are strong!!! GO CARRIE!
Mom