Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Calaveras Big Trees in the snow!

You know when something is so amazingly beautiful...you just can't stop taking pictures? ...or in my case asking my sister if she'd gotten that spot or this spot yet? (as my camera's mem. card was FULL! oops.) Thanks Syd! (beware...we took hundreds of pictures and I included my most of my faves).


















We took a day trip over to Calaveras Big Trees State Park (closer than the Giant Sequoia National Park). We knew it'd be cold but had no idea it'd be a winter wonderland! Luckily I threw in the kids snow boots! Unfortunately I didn't bring their snow pants and they ended up with very wet pants - but my mom purposefully left their pajama pants on under their real pants for warmth...good thing cause it kept them a little more dry. The boys could not stay out of the snow from the moment they got out of the van! By the end, Ryan didn't care one bit that he was practically an ice cube...Sean enjoyed the view from Grandpa's shoulders or mom's piggy back on the last 1/6th of the trail because his pants were wet and heavy and he didn't like walking in them.















The moss-snow factor looked neat.


































We had so much fun exploring the trees in the snow! And though my parents and sister live where it snows during the winter, it was different and magical for them too...there's a difference between snow in your neighborhood and snow in the middle of a forest. Magic!

This is the underside of a tree that fell...where the roots broke off.

Interestingly enough, while the trees can live for thousands of years, they do have shallow roots and are a brittle wood. Therefore, some fall and when they do, they usually will break in chunks.


















The reddish tint to the Giant Sequoia bark with the snow was beautiful!























Yes, my dad has a neon orange hunting cap on...we have no idea where we got it, but it was in my warm clothes stash and so I threw it in, just in case. It helped.























The famous stump...totally covered in snow, makes it less impressive. Without snow, Ryan would be several feet off the ground.


The stairway was mashed down snow and pretty slick...so the boys slid down on their bums. Sean left a blue streak from his dark blue jeans.




Here is Ryan and his "ice pick."
I'm pretty sure all boys search for good sticks anytime, and especially on hikes. I know mine have found many over the years...but this is my favorite. This one was so perfect in the snow. He was such a boy scout as he used it to clear the trees numbered plaques of ice and snow.





















Ahhh...bundled baby. An angel in his baby bunting and backpack!
















Ever seen The Christmas Story when Ralphy and his brother are so bundled up in their snow clothes they can't move? That was Kyle... luckily he didn't have to move.























Over the river and through the woods...





















































Sisters by the "Sisters" trees.

Syd sunk into snow...she's actually taller than me.






















This winter wonderland was even more spectacular because there was snow everywhere and the sun was shining. The contrasts of the blue sky, white snow and green and reddish brown bark from the trees was stunning.
















Unforgettable.

11 comments:

Sydney said...

YAY! I love that you're posting at a rapid rate. This was an awesome surprise that there was so much snow! It was so fun.

Amy said...

I 2nd that! You are crazy posting girl these days! Don't worry I LOVE it. Great pictures, great memories.

nikki said...

I need to steal some posting fire from you - I have none! Gorgeous pictures! What a great, beautiful, freezing day! I love it there and cannot believe how amazing with the snow. I vote we go there this summer.

P.S. Could Kyle be any cuter in that close-up shot? Fabulous pic!

Scott said...

Yes, Kyle's blue eyes and his blue cap!

Magnificent sights.

Sweet memories.

Kristen said...

Wow! I'm so jealous. Squeeze Kyle's cheeks for me, will you?
Miss you!

Erica said...

Love the picture where the red bark is such a contrast to the snow! And yes kyle looks so adorable in the close ups!

Anonymous said...

This was SO much fun... I am so glad we went. I love this place... and the snow and the family to share it with, made it all the better. This was one of the many Christmas highlights for me. Thank you for coming out Vanatter's!

As a side note; I have no idea why I'm not smiling in any of these pictures (and I do that often). What's really weird about it, not only am I not meaning to (I swear I'm not doing it on purpose)... but seriously, I'm pretty sure, that at the time, I think I'm smiling!!! That's pretty bad when you think you are smiling and you're not.

Anyhow, even though my face isn't showing it... I'm having a TON of fun.

~Scott

Rachel said...

those pictures of Kyle are just too cute. What beautiful blue eyes he has!!

Jenner said...

i wish i was there, it does look truly magical.

Jenner said...

i wish i was there, it does look truly magical.

Lisa said...

Oh! I love the Redwoods. Last time we went it was raining, which made it difficult to look up at those tall trees with rain getting in our noses! How breathtaking! It's fun to see Sydney and your parents. I love the close up picture of Kyle all snuggled up--way cute.