Thursday, February 26, 2009

Rain, rain COME AGAIN!

Three drought years in a row is not good. After hearing from our city manager at church that we are desperate for rain, our family has prayed for rain consistently. We did get some great systems that dumped some good rain, but we've also had some of the most gorgeous spring sunny days around here with the temperature just around 60-65 degrees. Down right gorgeous park weather. We have enjoyed it by going on walks and to the park...but despite the beautifulness, I've been wishing for RAIN!!! So I decided to dedicate our "preschool" this week on Weather. We focused on snow, rain and wind. We did a few projects that were super easy and fun, and thought some of you fellow moms might enjoy a Spring rainy day activity...Ryan couldn't wait to do these himself.



RAINY DAY Picture:

Shaving cream
Glue
Black paint or food coloring
tin foil
Blue cake sprinkles or glitter

So I found this idea to make clouds by mixing shaving cream with glue. The kids thought it was super cool and it stayed very fluffy through the mixing and drying. After it dried it was pretty spongy. You could push on it and it would spring back. I'm sure if you used more glue than I did it might work even better.


The aluminum foil was a puddle.



WINDY DAY Picture:

I found a picture online of a windblown tree and kite...then watered down some paint and put drops on the paper, gave them straws and said BLOW!





The paint needs to be really watery and it works awesome. My first few drops were too thick to really blow in the "wind."







On a side note...my boys had a little mishap while reenating a scene from Star Wars. Sean was Darth Vader and was to throw his light saber to Ryan. Ryan expected it to land on his lap, but Sean threw too high and hit Ryan right above the eyebrow. Apparently he had to stand in front of the class to explain what happened {it happened less than an hour before school and was worried about having to tell people - I guess he got over it.}. The class aide told me after school one of the boys asked him if he ducked when he saw the light saber coming and he said he did but at the wrong time!



HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRANDMA!!! I LOVE YOU!

8 comments:

Sydney said...

Such fun activities! Looks like fun and poor Ryan! Cute though that he was able to tell the class what happened... brains in and everything. hehehheh, such an active imagination. I can just see his worried little face with all the blood thinking his brains would fall out. Glad you're ok Ryan!

Amy said...

You are a regular crafty woman aren't you? Cool ideas, I hope Owen has a fun preschool. Sorry about the rain and the bonk on the head.

nikki said...

Ah the joy of wounds! At least he got it a super cool way. And the eyelashes!! Holy cow! I'm glad his brains didn't fall out.

Love, love the shaving cream clouds! Here's to hoping rain come your way.

Erica said...

Sad cut! I bet he was scared poor guy heads bleed so much! You are such a cute mom. So crafty.

Anonymous said...

Ryan ask your Grandpa Scott about when we bumped heads in the Kansas city Airport in 1965.
Great Aunt Gina

Jenner said...

you can have all of our rain. that shelf you guys made is AWESOME! love it. kennedi wants to know why their aren't more girls in your family? he he

Brad and Karen said...

Carrie, reading about all your fun projects with your boys makes me ALMOST wish I were a young mom again....(well, maybe just the young part...)

Grandma dot said...

Dear Dollybabe,
Thanks for the birthday wish! You are one of the best presents I ever got! You have been a pleasure since you were born. I think you were born with a smile on your face.
You have always been fun to watch as you always enjoy life so much.... both as a little girl and to now as a very fine young mother and wife. I am always reminded of the song "Isn't She Lovely?" as you certainly are!!!
I will always remember how you used to cook at my house. I also remember that as soon as you learned to read your Mom put you on your patio in Irvine with a foldup table and a cookbook and the ingredients and let you make cookies. And now you are a great cook!
I really enjoy your blog and all the things you share with us all !! You probably don''t realize how much we all look forward to seeing it.
I love your family adventures.
Gina and I have been looking at the older blogs and videos. They are so sweet. Maybe you can hear us laughing all the way to CA!!!
You have such CUTE boys. They are all so very sweet, entertaining and loving. (I love the voices in the background of the videos)
Maybe some of my favorites just may be Ryan doing the dance routine without the music, Sean with the Jingle Bells Santa Claus, Kyle with the "all done" and the smile!
Love them all.
Love to you and your sweet family.
Grandma Dot