Thursday, May 07, 2009

Grandma and Grandpa time!

We were so lucky to get to spend some time with my parents these last few weeks! They both came for a long weekend before my dad had a conference in San Francisco...then we said goodbye to my dad for a few days while he worked in San Fran...and then we got to play with him again for another long weekend before he had to go home, but then my mom got to stay another week! Like always, we had great fun together!



The first night we packed a picnic and headed to the park to play some T-ball and let off some balloon rockets. It was a gorgeous evening! I get so nervous when hitting a pitched ball, so hitting of the T was relaxing and fun! We all took lots of turns!























Also, I'd spent one dollar on some rocket balloons to play with when Grandpa got here and it was the best dollar ever spent. You blow up a long balloon and release. So it goes up into the sky as it lets out its air, eventually coming down...who knew my kids would chase that balloon as it flew around and try to catch it! What a crack up! It was hilarious! Great entertainment, let me tell you! Even Kyle loved watching the commotion.
























Then on Saturday after Ryan's ball game, we headed to Auburn for a little river hike and play.
It was so hot! (high 90s, seriously!)
I brought no water bottles!
What was I thinking?
It was spring...that's what I was thinking:)



So we ended up under the bridge in the shade by the freezing water.
















And Kyle was fascinated.































Afterwards we headed to McDonalds for ice cream to cool us off ~ the promise when we were super hot and I had no water to offer!


Grandpa generously offered Kyle his cone leaving him a small mound and the cone. Hilarious! Why didn't I have my camera??? After his first few sucks and initial cold reaction, he realized how awesome it was and made the biggest squeal and smile! Then he was all business. So then the camera phones were brought out...but since he was serious about eating now, he wasn't showing off the smiles, just eating before anyone could take it away! Someone did take it to get the wrapper paper off, and Kyle didn't understand why...he was almost unconsolable. Until he got the cone back moments later and was still deeply offended.


It was so funny...initially when there was a small mound above the cone, he was literally nursing the ice cream cone. His face and nose got so red and cold!





Several days later...Picking up Grandpa in San Francisco!



We got to see Sea Lions and eat at Bubba Gump's.



Can you believe I went to SF and ate something not sourdough or clam chowder? I did and it was all super yummy. Sean ate and loved some seriously spicy shrimp. We did actually order some clam chowder to share...not their specialty. It was so funny, I asked if they had sourdough with the chowder...the waiter responded that they weren't civilized enough in that restaurant.





Launching the famous rocket balloons! Best dollar ever spent, I tell you!



After that we sadly had to say goodbye to Grandpa! My dad is so much fun, we were so bummed he had to leave! As the boys said goodbye to Grandpa, they called out from the van, "Have fun storming the castle!" (favorite quote of the trip - from The Princess Bride which they haven't seen but Grandpa taught them in a funny voice.) The next morning, Sean asked all of us (more than once) if we missed Grandpa too!

But, my mom got to stay and play with us! It was so nice having a built in helper around too! Kyle didn't have to be woken up from his naps when Ryan had to be to school. I got to Visit Teach without kids in tow twice! We watched Ryan's games, went shopping, went on walks, and ran some errands (twice as fast if someone can stay in the car with kids!). It was so nice!

The next weekend we headed to Discovery Kingdom in the rain! As we left our home and it was pouring (California style pouring isn't that bad, but quite wet nonetheless.)...we stopped at Wal-mart for some kid umbrellas and wondered what we were doing...but we had the best day with barely even a sprinkle! We got to do so much because there were no lines! Scott and I even rode a roller coaster together! The shows were super amazing. Both the dolphin and orca whale shows were more spectacular this visit. Shouka, our orca whale flipped and hit a high suspended ball with her tail! It was amazing! It was so tall! You just wouldn't have believed it!

Kyle loved the music and clapping.







This lion was beautiful! The dark, Scar like mane was so striking! Plus, I don't think I've ever seen a male lion so close before! The lions are always sleeping and hiding far away...especially at the National Zoo, which I love, but the big cats were always so hard to see. This guy even made a tiny grumble for us to hear...i'm sure it wasn't provoked by Ryan trying to roar at him!


The walrus. The funniest animal on the planet. Bizarre really.



It is enormous. It's head is tiny compared to it's body... and the head can be in so many different positions. Wierd I tell you! And we didn't even get to see it eat this time! That is a whole other story...legendary in our family (from three years ago).




















A great white shark jaw...must have been a baby Great white.















Tropical Butterflies! This particular butterfly was my favorite, but in real life, the wings never stopped fluttering! I have several pictures of blurred wings because it never rested. I got lucky on this shot. I loved the yellow abdomen and red thorax with green irridescent scales on one side, yellow and black on the other. Neat.



















Riding Clarabell.


























Then we got to go out to dinner with one of Scott's old mission companions! He was in town from Oregon, so we got to meet up and it was so nice to visit and meet some of his family!



















Thanks mom and dad for coming to visit us! We all had so much fun and loved our visit! I am so lucky to have such great parents. Love you! Can't wait to come to your house next!

4 comments:

Sydney said...

Oh my gosh. Are you kidding me? I heard about all the fun, but this is just torture! I want to come out!!! Sheesh, everyone but me.

You boys are getting so big and Kyle with the ice cream cone was priceless!

Erica said...

Yeah I am glad I got to see that video. So cute! And man Carrie I just love your enthusiasm you always have such a positive outlook and love everything like it is the first time you have seen it. I love that about it. No wonder your kids are always so happy. Fun for Scott getting to see a mission companion. Very cool. Can't wait for our visit!

nikki said...

Erica hit the nail on the head - I have always admired that about you. You have fun in everything you do! You guys have had so much fun lately. It looks like you had a great visit with your parents and hit all of my favorites like San Fran and Discovery Kingdom. We are totally doing those things during our visit. I can't wait to have a baseball outing too!

Jules said...

Awesome. I love that we live thousands of miles apart, but we both still got to ride Thomas.