On my list of things to be thankful for is my country. I believe it was
divinely inspired for so many great minds and spirits to be involved in the creation of The United States of America. Our nations Capital is inspiring. Each time I drive across the Potomac and see the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, U.S. Capitol and Jefferson Memorial...I am in awe. I feel so patriotic and grateful! I've always loved my country and always loved Washington D.C....but I think we (including myself) take our freedoms and Constitution for granted. My mind thinks back to my AP American History class and I realize so many people take such a class in school and don't ever think about it again! As my boys have gotten to an age where they are learning about these founding fathers coliding in time with politics veering away from founding priciples I have felt the need make sure they know about all the great men and women who have built our rich history. I want my boys to have this history engrained in their souls!

I've always loved the U.S. Capitol. The exterior of the Dome is so creamy white against the blue sky. It is just beautiful! The inside is breathtaking. It is fantastic.

The Capitol has built a new underground museum and theater for tours of the Capitol. They show a movie before you begin your tour (similar to what they've done in Mount Vernon - what a great idea...it's so inpiring!) Anyhow, in this movie I heard them call the rotunda (inside the dome)
The Temple of Liberty. If I have learned this term before to refer to the rotunda I had forgotten. The term originated with George Washington himself although George Washington never lived to see the Capitol completed although he approved the first design in 1793. Due to the partial burning of the Capitol in the War of 1812 and a dramatic expansion the Capitol has been altered over the years, but the dome and rotunda were completed to how we see it today in 1863. President Abraham Lincoln pushed to complete the dome during the Civil War because he knew that a completed U.S. Capitol with it's grandeur would unite the country.
I'm proud to be an American!
I am grateful for the founding fathers who created a divine government!

Scott in the Library of Congress ~ another beautiful building! No pictures allowed in the main reading room ~ bummer. This was a quick visit inspired by Scott's reading of Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol."
2 comments:
We had so much fun... learning and playing and making goodies and talking of sacred things. We miss you all so much and it's only been two days... Well, accept I have the cold you all left behind and a lotta sleep will do me some good. I miss Kyle and all he is trying to say (over and over... if we could just understand everything--I'm pretty sure he has his own safisticated vocabulary goin on...) He is definately trying to get his message across... and Sean and his hugs and love of everything--what a bright light he is... and Ryan the big brother who is such a good reader and who loves stories and thinking and asking amazing questions... Ryan and Sean have amazing minds and amazing hearts. Oh how our family has been blessed. Love to you all.
What day were you there? I toured the capitol with my in-laws on Saturday the 5th! Karen said you were going to be out there over Thanksgiving and gave me Scott's number, but time got away from me so I didn't make the call. We had a wonderful time exploring the area for a few days.
Post a Comment