
I love Mexican food!
I love limes in my Mexican food!
This is our Cinco de Mayo last year...I took pictures but never got around to doing a Cinco de Mayo post. It was yummy! I forget how I made the Enchiladas that day...
Enchiladas
Cornbread with cilantro-butter

I've also been loving variations of black bean salsa or pico de gallo - sometimes with avocado.
Again...It's all about the limes!
Oh ... and I discovered...since I was making up my recipe - for the best taste I use more salt than I'd expect.
5-6 roma tomatoes
1/2 to 1 onion
bunch of cilantro
1/2 to 1 jalepeno
juice of 1/2 to 1 lime
salt to taste
can add
2-3 chopped avocados
1 can rinsed black beans
corn
So..I've been making modified versions of enchiladas for a while now. The old cream of chicken enchiladas were getting a little old on me. So I've experimented with my own fillings, black beans, cilantro, tomatoes...and toppings...I've used red enchilada sauce that I'll mix with sour cream or green enchilada sauce/sour cream ...trying to figure out how I really like it. Then I stumbled upon this recipe on My Kitchen Cafe that had adapted it from Sisters Cafe Blog and printed it out a while ago. Well I finally got around to making it on Monday! We were having the Sister Missionaries over for dinner and I had most of the stuff so I got started, even though one of our Sister Missionaries is from El Salvador ~ made me nervous to make Mexican food for her! BUT she said she loves Mexican food and really liked it and even asked for the recipe so I think I passed somewhat of a test:)
My version of ~~~
original versions in the links....
My Kitchen Cafe
My Sister's Cafe
Honey Lime Enchiladas
Marinade:
1/3 c honey
1/4 c lime juice
1 Tb chili powder
2 tsp fresh garlic
Sauce on top:
2 (10 oz) cans green enchilada sauce (next time I am going to try the Herdez Salsa Verde instead - still experimenting)
1/2 cup cream or sour cream
*I also added lime juice
16 soft taco size flour tortilla
Inside:
4 Chicken Breasts or 1-2 lb pork shredded(next time I'm going to cook pork in a crock-pot with the sauce...I. can't. wait! This time I just sauteed the chopped chicken in the marinade...and it was delish.)
1 can of black beans (drained) (my addition)
2 roma tomatoes chopped(my addition)
combine the meat, beans, tomatoes.
1 lb. grated Colby Jack Cheese, or Monterrey Jack Cheese or Cheddar. I used Med. Cheddar because I had it on hand...I want to use Colby Jack or Monterrey Jack next time...Lightly spray 2 pans with non-stick baking spray. Pour green enchilada sauce into pans to coat the entire bottom. Fill tortillas with shredded meat and desired amount of cheese. Roll and place in dish.
Pour remainder of sauce over enchiladas and sprinkle more cheese on top. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Then turn on broiler and place enchiladas nearer the top of oven. Let it broil until cheese is slightly brown and crispy.
Well, I'm still not finished experimenting....but I really loved this recipe and am always in the hunt for a good dinner recipe, so I thought I'd share!













4 comments:
Ooooohhh, Yum! I'm going to have to try that!
I have made this from the Kitchen Cafe/Sister's Cafe!! I love both their blogs for yummy food.
I like all your variations. Must try soon!
Are you tired of me not updating my fod blog yet? :)
Does anyone else know what a fod blog is?
looks like a yummy recipe, I will have to try it. i am getting tired of my cream of chicken enchiladas too! i thought you were allergic to avacados?!!!
p.s. the ent says recovery on zacs surgery is about 2 weeks :(
Post a Comment