Friday, March 19, 2010

Irish green!

I love holiday's. What a fun excuse to do things out of the ordinary.






One year, I'm thinking 4th or 5th grade ~ I dressed up as a Leprechaun on St. Patrick's day. I put green glitter on my cheeks, wore a green hat, and shorts, but the perfect finishing touch were the pointy green things I taped to my shoes...Crazy little me!





Anyhow, we had our yummy dinner that wasn't entirely Irish, but lots of green. I made

*green shammrock biscuits that weren't fantastic - wheat flour isn't preferrable when making light and fluffly biscuits.
*Green mashed potaotes
*green dyed Squirt
*Green asparagus
*Mini Meatloafs with mushroom sauce.

Someday I might get the courage to make some sort of corned beef. I don't understand it and don't know the best way to prepare/cook it. I keep thinking I need to look it up on Wikipedia, but haven't done it. So if anyone knows a yummy way to tie in a real Irish meal, clue me in!




Here's our Rainbow Jell-o! Isn't it so pretty? Even though I didn't get a good slice to picture? I messed up on the green. We walked to pick up Ryan from school and I forgot about needing to finish my green layer so we stopped at the park too. By the time we got home, it had started to set in the pot before I had poured it onto the layered Jell-o! Oops.



At dinner we were talking about how we have some Irish Ancestors. So I say to the kids, "Do you know what Ancestors are?"


Ryan replied, "Well, what about An-brothers?"

I didn't realize ~ Scott figured out that when I said Ancestors he thought I was saying An-sisters. ~ Pretty funny!



And here's a few more pictures of our last trip up to the fun tree swing...since yesterday on our way home from school someone at the end our our street found a small rattlesnake in their yard and had brought it out to the street and burned it!

5 comments:

Sydney said...

Fun green food! I died some milk green for FHE to go with the cinnomon rolls. Fun swinging mom! Ew for the rattlesnake!

Amy said...

That dessert is so awesome!! I'm going to do that next year. I'm NOT a fan of corned beef so I would not be a big help there. You guys live in such a great place.. how happy are you!? Love that you are able to walk to school and play on the hill and tree swing. You all are making such fun memories.

nikki said...

That picture of the lovely hill! It is fun to hear you talk about walking to school - one of my favorite things.

You are Betty Crocker lady! Building lots of fun memories for your kids...

Erica said...

You are such a great mom for doing Holiday traditions. I hope to do the same once Camryn can appreciate it. And I think you will just have to deal with the snakes because that swing will provide some fun for months to come.

Julie said...

I have a super easy, but good way to do corned beef and it's delicious. Remind me and I'll email you the recipe. We had 2 St. Patty dinners--one with the in-laws and one with a few friends. We had corned beef, cabbage, carrots, potatoes (mashed with Irish Cheddar), rolls, green grapes and oranges, rainbow jello, mint brownies, green, orange and white soda (Jones' green apple, and cream soda, and then Izze Orange).