Thursday, July 22, 2010

Grandpa time!

My dad ended up entertaining the boys on several occasions this last trip due to wedding errands.  I have pictured a few of the
fun things they came up with...
First up is this Mentos Experiment...Apparently if you put Mentos into Diet Coke the Diet Coke goes crazy!  The key is the 2 liter bottle and 5-10 mentos...
however they experimented with smaller bottles of Diet Coke and Diet Rootbeer too. 
The little bottles did create a reaction ~ a few feet of fizz and perfect for Kyle to get involved.


But it was the 2 Liter bottles of Diet Coke that were astonishing.  The crazy part about this experiment is how quickly the reaction happens!  There is no shaking the soda bottle, waiting or any thing besides putting the mentos into the bottle and getting out of the way!  It happens instantly!





Check out this craziness!









Another funny day was when they decided to play in the sprinklers.
Sean is a hot dog roasting over the "fire" here.

You probably can't tell here but after they had played in the sprinklers for a while it started to rain!  Usually Virginia rains include lightning so you can't play in the warm summer rain...but this time was actually different!  Shocking!  So they stayed and played, except Kyle.  He had lots of fun when he could control when he would get in and out of the water, but the rain all over and not being able to escape tormented Kyle...so he came inside until it subsided 15-20 minutes later and then went back out to play!

Sliding under the foam swords was concocted by the Grandpa...and it was in the rain. 
Awesome how the boys can still find fun things to do with that little slide even though Ryan and Sean are bigger than the slide itself!  It has worked as a jumping platform to swing from hanging tree branches like Tarzan or to jump into leaf piles...or slide into the baby pool.  They make it fun!

Another day Grandpa took the two older boys into DC to get a copy of the Declaration of Independence that Ryan insisted we promised him last trip...We were so busy this summer it ended up being their only visit downtown!  I never got into DC!  What a shame!  Anyhow not only did they go to The Thomas Jefferson Memorial to get the Declaration but grandpa took them on the paddle boats in the Tidal Basin! 
Good thing I sent my camera along!  How cute!  Go Grandpa!
*   My dad loved their talks during their excursions.  Ryan's questions to Grandpa on this day were,
"Grandpa, why doesn't John Adams have a monument like George Washington or Thomas Jefferson?" 
and
"Grandpa, I know why we fought in the war, we fought to be free, but why did the British fight?"

*  Another Grandpa outing one day involved getting soft serve ice cream at McDonalds ~ but taking it to Taco Bell and mixing Mild Taco Bell sauce into the Soft Serve...and taste testing...they were sure it was going to be disgusting.  The idea came from a gross ice cream flavor discussion...which led to this crazy idea.  Then the craziest thing is they didn't think it was that gross!

*I got to tag along to see Toy Story 3.
*  There were two or three nights in a row that he put all three boys to sleep (Bridal Shower night...and I forget what else) and the kids actually went down better for him than they had for me!

Thanks dad for all the help!  I know the boys had so much fun listening to the Beatles in your car and all the other things you got to do together!

5 comments:

Amy said...

This post makes me excited for my kids to be big. Taking them places will be so much more fun once they are big. How nice that they were able to have so much one on one grandpa time. I'm sure he enjoyed just as much as they did.

Sydney said...

Yay for Grandpa! There was so much girly things and wedding events happening that the boys had to stick together. Oh to be a kid again and have so much fun!!!!

Sydney said...

Oh, and in the picture of Sean being the "Hot Dog" Ryan looks so OLD!

Scott said...

This trip I had many hours each day to spend with the boys. Prior trips the hours were limited to 1-2 here, or 2-3 there. This time, I was able to spend all day and night every day with them. As Carrie said, I was sorta in charge of them for many days for much of this trip.

I had SERIOUS withdrawal symptoms when they left. Serious. Miss them SO much. (Grandma Becky sitting next to me says, "Me too.")

Cars, guns, DC, computers, computer art, books, history, Mt. Vernon, church, bedtime stories (round-robin stories*), and yes, there was a wedding in there.

I got into trouble with their Mom when I got them to bed one night too late. The next night I was determined to do better -- getting them to bed on time.

We put Kyle to bed in Carrie's room, and Sean and Ryan in Sydney's room. I cracked the two doors open and rocked back and forth singing Silent Night (leaning to look into one room, then the next to see into each room). [Carrie used to sing Silent Night all the time.]

*I think it can be called round-robin stories. Each night one person (Sean, Ryan, or me) would start the story with 2-3 sentences, then the next person would take over adding 2-3 MORE parts of the story (each person could change up the story as wild as we could imagine). Then the last person would end up. We did this two or three times around the horn. On a night when we ran out of time, it would only be one round. They used to lobby for more than one round. Our stories ranged across and around the world. Up in the sky and beaming across the universe, etc. Colors and fun and fantasy.

Love the boys. SO much. (More pics coming on my blog.)

tricia said...

Carrie, I am indulging in blogs tonight and I loved seeing your family and was thrilled to learn of your sister's marriage. That is just wonderful. Your boys are so cute, funny, and full of energy. You and Kris and your families could have a fun time together. Love to you all.