Cade Ellis Motley
born. 9.21.10
2 weeks 1 day old
So before I forget details...I want to record our experience when Cade was born! Be aware for my own sake...I included all the details...so there's lots of information here! I was overall anxious that he not be late as Kyle was...for many reasons...didn't want to be prego longer than necessary, wanted a smaller baby, timing for my mom's visit, etc... Amongst other reasons, I regularly walked throughout this pregnancy so as to hopefully have my body in birthing shape...they always say walking is good for inducing labor! But the closer we came to our due date, my doctor offered to induce me early. I'd rather have the baby come naturally, so we tenatively scheduled an induction for the 27th ~ his due date. Well, on the 20th at my doctors appointment he checked and I was dilated to a 2/2.5 ~ and promptly ruptured my membranes and make it more of a 3 ~ without checking to see if that's what I wanted! I might not have gone with that idea but it was my last chance before his due date to have something like that done...And while about a month and even a few weeks before he was due I felt like I was going to have him earlier than the due date, I was starting to feel less lucky, and thinking my braxton hicks contractions had lessened in frequency...so I was a bit discouraged in thinking I'd have him before having to be induced. Anyhow, the evening of that doctor's appointment I had lots of contractions. I timed them after the kids got to bed and they slowed down after I sat down. But a few hours later they were pretty consistent going from 10 min apart progressing to 3-5 min. apart. By that time it was in the middle of the night. Scott woke up to use the restroom and was surprised I was still awake and timing contractions. So after talking about it, he got dressed, got Ryan's lunch packed, boys clothes in backpacks, homework in the folder, a snack for him packed...all lined up and ready to go. I called the hospital who told me to come...but before we woke Scott's parents up at 4:00 am I wanted to double check...so I laid down to time my contractions again...these contractions had been pretty strong, but not as strong as I thought they should be ~ though I think it was a bit risky since they were probably like what Kyle's whole labor was like! Anyhow as soon as I sat down, they gradually got a bit further apart...but stronger with each one. Finally around 6am they tapered off. So that was all false labor...Which was pretty funny because as soon as I started having contractions I sorta didn't want it to be real! I thought ~ no...I have an appointment tomorrow morning to get my hair done (which I really wanted to do before having the baby! but was incidently cancelled the next morning due to her vomiting kids) and I was supposed to watch my friends kids Wed. morning, pick up a friend for Kindergarten on Wed, and Enrichment Wed. night...so after Wednesday would have been preferrable...or even after Soccer games on Saturday...but then as soon as all the contraction excitement settled down...and the morning progressed without much action ~ then I got bummed thinking I'd missed the boat and missed my chance...and that I'd have to get induced! However, I laid down for a nap in the afternoon and about 2 pm was woken by a strong contraction...and had several more between then and picking up the kids and starting homework with the kids. So I called Scott for him to come home. He came home and took the kids outside to play around 4:30. My contractions were about every 10 minutes and pretty strong...and then around 5:30-6 they changed to every 5 minutes...and at that point I decided we should head to the hospital. We met Scott's mom at the hospital and she took the kids. By the time I got checked in it was about 7:00...and contractions came hard from that point on. When they checked to see where I was at about 7:30ish I was dilated to a 4.5. By the time they got me to a delivery room about 8pm they were rushing to get me an epidural...mostly because I wanted it asap - but soon after they seemed to be rushing and doubting if we were going to have time for the epidural. When I talked to the midwife about that, she said it was a possibility but that if it happened that way, it would be quick. The anesthesiologist even doubted the possibility and had the nurse check my progression since my water broke about the time he was ready. The nurse reported a 7.5 dilation ~ which made me think, "phew! we've got time!" When I was laboring with Kyle ...I got my epidural at an 8 and then we took our awesome epidural nap for a few hours as he labored down on his own. But this time, somehow they knew Cade was going to be born quickly. People kept predicting how soon ~ "oh I think we're going to have a baby here in about an hour." Anyhow within about 15 minutes of him starting the epidural Cade was born. Apparently if you are dilating very quickly, an epidural doesn't work like it should...so while the epidural took a small edge off, I still felt a whole lot of what was going on. What was so crazy was when Cade crowned and came out! Hello! Boy, was I glad my epidural with Kyle had worked...Mr. 9 lb 12 oz. baby...glad I didn't feel that one!
So it pretty much felt like as soon as the anesthesiologist finished putting the medicine in, the midwife took her spot at the bottom of the bed and starts saying to push. It was such a whirlwind...I was in shock she was telling me to push already...though I could tell he was coming and it was time! So I pushed during one contraction and he was here! It was so wierd...there was no okay ~ here's the contraction - push...okay, break...here comes the next contraction...push again! Nope. One contraction...one set of pushing and he was here! 7 lbs. 13 oz! Total boy and sweetheart! The moment I saw him...which took a few seconds since they had a wierd tall oxygen mask on me that was blocking my vision a little...I knew he was ours! Instant connection. He looked like a combo of our babies immediately! At first with his pre washed white vernix all over him, and wrinkly forehead we thought he looked like Sean in the delivery room. As time has gone on, we have seen lots of Ryan too...But really we think he looks like Cade!
He's his own self and we love him!
Two weeks old.
Things around here have gone pretty great! I felt good ~ especially after the 1 week mark. Scott was able to stay home through the end of the first week...Wed, Thurs, and Fri. His mom came over after her work to help during the crazy homework hours. My mom came for about 10 days and gave lots of attention to the boys and helped out with all other duties...homework, school drop-off and pick-up, and more! So now we'll see how we adjust to life with four kiddos, making dinner, supervising homework, getting to 8:30 am church on time with 4 kids to get ready (Scott has early meetings), etc.! We can do it! Love that little face!
















7 comments:
Love the pictures, and story. Glad there wasn't that much pushing!
So cute! Thanks for sharing your story.
Love,
Aunt Tracy
He is sooooo sweet Carrie! I can't believe all that hair he has! He is just adorable! Congratulations!! You are the best mom. I love reading your blog. I can't believe you have four boys!!!!! They are all so perfect!
How nice to document all the particulars because time has a way of erasing some of the painful memories-good thing, though. He is a sweet one and definately belongs. Welcome baby Cade!
Cade is perfect. It is scary to say out loud cause I don't want to jinx it. He doesn't have a fussy bone in his body. He takes it really good when the boys are smushing all over him. He doesn't spit up... well I've seen a few dribbles. He sleeps and eats... and well a few other things. He looks around and smiles when he is sleeping. The worst thing he does is get the hiccups... and then he is so patient with them. He is a good traveler (so far). He is helping his family to adjust so well. What a perfectly precious little soul. I miss holding him and playing puzzles with Kyle and doing homework with Ryan and Sean. We are all so thankful for Cade.
Maybe I said this before but he is BEYOND cute! He just might be your cutest yet (which is not an easy thing to accomplish with the cuteness of the others) I'm jealous that my sister has already gotten to meet him and hold him. And, I always LOVE a good birthing story :)
Congrats, Carrie! He is beautiful! We are expecting baby #5, so we'll see if we get 4 boys too or maybe, just maybe another girl. We'll see!
Post a Comment