Sunday, September 25, 2011

Team San-Frantic for a Nap-a!

Last weekend I ran the Napa Valley RAGNAR RELAY race!
186.4 mile 12 person relay race.  Each runner has three legs...my total miles were going to be 16.2, but when we showed up the day of the race, they had changed it to 14.3 and I ran the last mile {I think it was more 1.5} with my friend to the finish line...so I totalled anywhere from 15.3-15.8}. 
One of the best things I've ever done.  Not going to lie...when we crossed the finish line, I got a little choked up...feeling like I'd accomplished my goal!
Historically speaking, I'm not a very competitive or sporty person.
However over the last year I've enjoyed getting out and running...the feeling when I'm finished with a run is fantastic, and I finally ran enough that I can feel and enjoy the run!  Especially after about 3 miles, my body settles into a nice grove {this is not to say that I'm fast.  I have improved slowly over the last year, yet still not as fast as my friends...though my friends are pretty much running superstars!}...so this team relay sounded like a great goal to work towards, plus a lot of fun!  


12 runners.  186.4 miles.  Three legs each.







Van 1 girls

Starting line  with Diana and Cherie running over the Golden Gate Bridge in leg one of the race!






Totally goofy running pictures.{Apparently I need to learn how to take pictures whilst running}..but the first is starting my first leg, and the other is starting my last leg...where I forgot my hat...and ipod {totally annoying to me...I felt a little bare going into the run, but with ZERO sleep...apparently I wasn't thinking clearly!}!


Getting the slap bracelet on leg one, and right before starting my second leg, at night..holding up my mace in one hand, and flashlight in the other....headlamp and reflective vest on!  That night run was AWESOME!  Partly due to the 5 hour energy drink my friend told me about...claiming it had lots of B vitamins, but not caffeine!  Oopps..it totally had caffeine.  BUT energy I had!  I ran awesome!  Best run on my life!  Literally...I finished with a 8:35 average pace...for 7.5 miles which would usually be around 9:30!  I could feel the grove.  I was passing people!  The weather was awesome...the moon was a half moon...I could see shadows of things around me...some pretty  hills and oak trees, a few vineyards...yep, gorgeous and I couldn't see it!  But I felt amazing!  Luckily I didn't step on the dead raccoon in my path!  I was a bit nervous about running at night, but I had the best run EVER!



Our ward at church has tons of runners...in fact, there were three couples teams (two were some people from our ward...with more friends} and our ladies team.  So it was a lot of fun to run into many of our friends from these other teams at this first exchange between van one and van two!  Right before starting my first run...so it was exciting!

My friends were on teams...San-Frantic for a Nap-a {my team}, Escaping from Alcatraz~wanna go back, She said this was a couples retreat, Help me, Obi RUN Kenobi, and 2 Hot to Trot ~ So we RUN!

Trapped between opposing leg posing!

Totally gorgeous route!  And my totally gorgeous friend...who in this very picture had just finished a "very hard" {as described by Ragnar} run!  
HUMAN STATUES IN THE WATER FOUNTAIN!...on our way to dinner before our night running!

Huddling to keep warm!  I had just finished my 7.5 and they didn't want me to get Hypothermia!

To decorate our "Frantic" van..we used eyeball lights...quite bizarre and funny since Kirsten happened to injure her eye very badly the week before the race, and almost didn't come!
Little Charlie's Angels in the Vineyards!



The many teams from our area, decided to write "Lincoln Crew" on our calves to unify our many teams!
Just before running the last mile-ish into the finish line!
These signs were annoying because they didn't feel accurate at all!

Running the last mile {1.5}to the finish line with Kiersten and Jen...the rest of our team joined up right after this photo to run in together!

It was fantastic!  And to top it all off...our team placed third in the women's open division!

Totally awesome!  Strangely addicting...can't stop thinking about next time!

9 comments:

Ryan Smart said...

CONGRATS!!! My cousin was there as well. I'm trying to get a team together for the one down here. I want to hear all about it. I am extremely proud of you. This gives me motivation that I can do it too.

Laura said...

Way cool! That has to be such a great feeling of accomplishment! It's got to be way fun to do a Ragnar too - with friends - probably makes it way more exciting!
I have the bug now, I want to do one too!

Erica said...

So proud of you! This is so awesome and such an accomplishment! I can understand the emotion you would have! I can't believe the runner you have turned out to be! And can we mention the legs! Such great calves and legs you have!

Sydney said...

Wowzers!! Way to go Carrie!! That is amazing and I would have totally broken down. the most I've run at one time is a 5k. I agree with Erica, Nice legs!!

Anonymous said...

So, Carrie, did you smile the whole time or just for the pictures?

Good job.

Love,
Aunt Tracy

Karen M. said...

Such an accomplishment! I am so proud and impressed-first that anyone would want to run for fun and then to do it in the middle of the night with no sleep. Looks like everyone had fun-can't beat the beauty of your scenery either!

Mom/Grandma/Becky said...

So if this were a beauty contest the Lincoln Crew would have it hands down!!! You all are HOT! Carrie, I had tears in my eyes when you called and finished... For my little girl who wasn't so sportsy... you have inspired both your dad and me. I just want to get to that point where I can feel the grove and still breathe! You are amazing. I have tears just reading this. And those legs have always been impressive, but there is some seismic definition now... Love the fountain flying picture and so many more!!!! I was cheering you on all day and night even if I couldn't be there... These pictures help me to live it with you... thanks so much... love you

Amy said...

SO glad you got to do this! Your pictures make it look really fun although I think it would be a death sentence for myself. Good job!!

Jessica said...

Ok, I just read through all your Ragnar posts! I'm super excited...and nervous :) I don't want to be the weak link! But I've started training so hopefully soon I'll be closer to keeping up with you guys.