Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Kansas Food Wars! Thanksgiving with Grandma! Part 1

 Kansas City!  We met my family in Kansas to visit my Grandma for Thanksgiving!  We had such a wonderful trip!!! We were excited to try some real KC BBQ and found a few old joints to test.  Two of the older ones in town, BBs Lawnside BBQ (probably the coolest) and Sneads BBQ (the oldest).  My dad acceptance standards were quite strict.  Had to be old and had to be interesting...no strip mall fake BBQ for us!  And it served us good!  We loved our BBQ!
Here we are outside of BBs Lawnside after arriving in Kansas City!

And inside, Ryan trying some ribs.
Ryan was lovin it!
I had Burnt Ends and loved it!



After Sydney and Mike came to town, we tracked down this old joint! 
Sneads did not disapoint!  We loved their burnt ends which they called, "Brownies!"



CHICKEN DINNER ROAD!
Another day before Sydney and Mike came to town, we got to test Chicken Annie's and Chicken Mary's...
famous fried chicken from Pittsburg, Kansas ~ only 30 minutes from Grandma's in Ft. Scott, KS!

They are within sight of each other!  They were on the Travel Channel's show FOOD WARS.
Scott, Sean and I thought we might enjoy Annie's better.  Ryan expected to like Mary's better.

It's a perfect in-between meeting place to visit my Dad's Aunt Kathleen her kids, Donna, Jason and Shane and their families who live in Oklahoma! 
My Grandma has liked Annie's for years...her sister likes Mary's...this is how it goes!  Everyone has a favorite:)  Anyhow we met cousins from Oklahoma at Annie's...
Love this picture of Grandma and Aunt Gina!  Cute Cute!
So after we ate a yummy Chicken Dinner at Annie's, we went down the road to try some of Mary's!



Sooooo....we had a vote...like on Food Wars...which Mary's actually won by one vote...
but in our vote...Annie's won by one...HOWEVER....Scott and I flipped from thinking we liked Annie's to choosing Mary's!  BUT I still feel bad...cause Mary's parking lot is a zoo...Annie's much easier to get into...
Quite Frankly, if there wasn't a food war between them, we wouldn't have gone...so they both win!


And of course we had some fun projects...Grandma helped the boys make Turkey cupcakes.

And Thanksgiving was yummy as always!  Here's a funny moment Aunt Gina caught on camera!  Please ignore me when I obliviously walk in and have no awareness of this funny moment!

From 2011_11_24

6 comments:

Sydney said...

Chicken chicken chicken!! It was all so good!!! Can't wait to see more posts. I'll post soon! lol

Twigg said...

I don't think I have ever seen so much family and so much chicken in the same place. So fun for you all to go to a new place and try out fun restaurants. Can't wait to see you all in person!

Erica said...

From Erica-but twigg loves you too!

Mom/Becky/Grandma said...

Tons of yummy food... we are still loving my pumpkin pancakes and apple cider syrup... YUMMM! Oh what a lovely time we had. All the family history was amazing, the fun running and playing football... and the fort with a family heirloom in the museum! How great was that! But I think everyone will agree that those four little men are the joy in all our days! They keep us laughing, loving, and moving... And I especially loved and appreciated our gratitude conversations. They were poignant and heart felt. Thanks everyone for an amazing family reunion... We missed you Tracy.

Scott said...

Well, we MIGHT have gone to Chicken Mary's just because. But the Food Wars and cousins from Oklahoma made it a sure thing. And a GOOD thing.

Scott said...

http://scottvanatter.blogspot.com/2010/11/kyle-singing-chim-chiminey-row.html

See this oldie but a goodie! "Chim Chiminey Row"