Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The first day of school!

So exciting! Ry guy was really excited to start first grade today! If you asked him what he was most excited for, he said...four recesses! Yes, somehow they have four short recesses throughout the day! He was also really excited to wear his new Vans grandma bought him...weeks ago and was so dismayed that he had to wait until school started before he would wear them! Our first morning of getting to school at 8 AM went great too - I won't lie...I'm nervous about school starting that early! We've never had to be somewhere so early regularly before and Ryan is my sleeper! Oi!



Checking out the shells with a magnifying glass. He was excited to report that they learned about Oceans today and will learn about them all of August!


He ran into lots of friends and his old teacher at recess and lunch. There are lots of logistical differences between Kindergarten and 1st grade too.




As class started, we turned to leave and Sean was still leaning on the door frame looking at Ryan. So we called to him saying it was time to leave. He came, but head down and you could tell he was upset. Scott asks if he's okay and he looks up with tears in his eyes and says he's sad! He didn't want to leave Ryan at school. There's been a lot of talk lately about how 1st grade lasts a lot longer each day. Apparently it registered with Sean. Poor guy was so distraught! He loves his brother and they play non-stop! So I assured him we'd play lots of games today (his favorite) and we did. He did tell me Ryan was more fun. His preschool starting next week didn't help his little feelings.
First grade is big time! My goodness, a full day of school and he'll learn so much! I love that first grade class size goes down. I have so many hopes for his school experience! The father's blessing Scott gave to Ryan this morning was a comfort to all of us.
Can't wait to see what this year brings!

7 comments:

Gina the Photographer said...

"I can't wait to see what NEXT year brings" Poem recited by Carrie at her kindergarten graduation 1983 or so. Love this post. I am so glad they love school and each other. I to this day remember crying when Scott went into the kinderarten class in 1959. It is big stuff.
Aunt Gina

Erica said...

Poor Seany! Hopefully Preschool will ease the pain! Ryan looks so cute with his little hands on his hips! So old! I can't wait to see more pictures! Sad that summer is over but looks like you ended it well. I can't believe you both on Scott's shoulders! So fun! And I am sorry you aren't as fun as Ryan. First the wrinkles now not as fun! He sure is honest!

nikki said...

What a great first day for Ryan! How cute is Seany being so sad! I'm sure it will be a bit better when he starts preschool next week. I know both of them will have a great year!!

Love, love how father's blessings comfort all. Hopefully, we'll get our first day posted here soon...

Amy said...

Congrats on the first day of school. First grade, that's incredible, he's so old! His school starts early, man, are they all like that? Good job getting there on time. I can appreciate now that I have kids what it means to have 2 adults and 3 kids ready to go before 8. Oh Seany, always the little brother. Next week will be good though, I think he'll enjoy preschool and be able to find his own identity.

Sydney said...

Wow, Ryan looks old! I LOVED saving my new clothes for the first day of school. It was a special treat. Seany is so cute. I agree that once his preschool starts, it won't be so sad to have Ryan leave for so long every day. Can't wait to see that post!

Grandma Becky/Mom said...

Ryan looks so self assured. I am so proud of him. He is an amazing thinker/learner. My heart broke for Sean... bless his little heart. Sean will soon learn all the arts of being a big brother. It will be fun to see how Sean teaches little Kyle to play much like Ryan was the leader in play with him. Wow... I love you all and I miss you so much. Thanks for the fun blogs... it sure helps to keep up with the daily fun in your lives... This made the water works run... We love you all! Mom/Grandma Becky

Karen M. said...

Such a big boy-so cute! I would love to have been a fly on the wall to see how his day progressed. Poor Seany-always the little brother who wants to be as big as the big brother! It won't be long before Kyle is crying because Sean has left him at home. He's going to love, love, love preschool!