Monday, October 12, 2009

Storytime


This summer when our boys got to spend the night with Grandma and Grandpa and the cousins, they got to experience one of Grandpa Motley's bedtime stories. It was quite memorable. It became part of our everyday vocabulary as they would quote the tiger in the story who would say to the children, "I'm hungry, I want some candy!" {The accent is a huge part of this story...but I can't type an accent} This tiger would then not eat the children if he got candy. Well since we've been camping out here during our state of limboness, our children have decided that they get Grandpa stories. I told them it couldn't happen every night and so somehow it settled on Sunday nights.



Thus Sunday nights are highly anticipated around here.

The first story was about E.T...many details were adopted from the movie E.T...though there were some differences. I'm not sure what. However grandpa described E.T. and those boys listened. They related this amazing story to a few of us, including every detail. The next day they decided to draw pictures (with no motherly promptings...seriously) about this tale.




Favorite story line...
"E.T. go home." (slightly altered from movie, of course:)


Here is Ryan's E.T. and his Spaceship. Ryan has never seen pictures of or the movie E.T..

We loved his picture so much he decided he would draw a picture of Grandpa's story every Monday and put them all into a book.
And Sean's picture...

Due to popular demand, the original tiger made an appearance in this story.
The boy with the blue hat is Ryan and he threw peppermint candy, a skittle and a m&m.






"I love my candy, I want some candy!"











This story is about a pink road that led to the wizard in a big castle. There is a lion, Ryan, Sean and a little dog named "Donut" on that pink road to go see the wizard.
























Sean's version of the wizard and pink road.















Remember the lego space ships my boys are obsessive about building? They are all so creative. They build and collect until there are so many and not enough legos to build cool ones any more so we dump them all back into the bucket and start the rebuilding and creating process again. So anyhow...they still do this. So last night's story was about how Ryan, Sean and Kyle lived in a house built out of legos! In their garage they had a lego motorcycle, a lego ferrari and a lego spaceship. One day they all got into one of their lego spaceships and went to Virginia to pick up Grandpa Scott, Grandpa Becky and Aunt Sydney and brought them back for a visit! The cool thing about this lego house is that you can take off right out of the garage and put the legos back in place when you are finished! Oh yea...and you needed special "skills" to fly the spaceship with Ryan and Sean both had!

Another reason Sunday nights are highly anticipated...Grandpa treat (originally started for his own kids usually on Monday nights...for FHE treat...and they didn't have much of dessert...so he'd put a raisin on a cracker and they thought it was hilarious and would eat it all up!)...a bunch of random eateries placed in a small individual bowl for each grandkid. Kyle too has caught onto what's happening and loves it when he's told to sit by the fireplace and wait. This past Sunday's treat included...a sour gummy worm, a ritz cracker with squeeze cheese, a miniature recees peanut butter cup and a sweedish fish. I'll have to add a picture next Sunday!

10 comments:

Gina the Photographer said...

Great post. Making memories. Cool. The bowl of treats. Wild. (I love squeeze cheese)

Grandma Becky said...

These drawings are amazing! And grandpa's stories must be so vivid. I love their little minds. Those E.T. pictures are AMAZING! So fun... Love to all

Erica said...

Ryan really is such a good little artist! How fun to get Granpa stories and treats every Sunday! I can tell you that the other grandkids would be real jealous!

Erica said...

Ryan really is such a good little artist! How fun to get Granpa stories and treats every Sunday! I can tell you that the other grandkids would be real jealous!

nikki said...

Ryan is an amazing artist! I love how your boys record their memories through drawing. Truly, truly lucky to have grandpa treats and stories every Sunday! I meant to blog about one Sunday when we came home from church and the boys decided to each make their own grandpa treat for each other as their snack to tide them over until dinner. I don't think my dad has any idea how creative he is or how much he rubs off on all of us!!

Kristen said...

What a fabulous grandpa! Is there anything sweeter than a grandpa with a little boy on his lap reading a story? So what is the "state of limboness" you are referring to?

Karen M. said...

How did you get the pictures on the blog? I'm glad you are the queen of bloggers because the memories are recorded forever. Won't it be fun to see Ryan's skills develop over the years? He already has such good use of color and perspective plus he can recreate something from his mind without seeing something to give him ideas. Definately a budding artist!

Atherly Family said...

Ditto about Ryan's artistic skills. Amazing. What fun memories, although you are in limbo and don't have your own space, I know you and the boys will look back on this as a special time. So, so sorry to hear about yesterday. I KNOW something BETTER will come up because you deserve it more than anyone I know. The Lord will provide!

Gina the Photographer said...

Hey. By Thanksgiving is fast. That is great. When Tracy and I moved into this place I had a three week escrow. It was a whirlwind thing. I just freaked out by commiting to the loan and Mom and Tracy did most of the actual moving. I was working nights at NBC. Ah memories and now it's 27 years alter and it paid for. Ha !! Love it. You will LOVE having your own home. It feels so good.

Sydney said...

Hello from GREECE! Love the story time! How awesome and what great memories they are creating :)

P.S. you will love your surprises... hehehhee